1753759 Members
4857 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P400 Stuck At Initializing during boot

Kevin Keller_2
Frequent Advisor

P400 Stuck At Initializing during boot

I have a P400 SA controller that's getting stuck at the initializing during a boot. I reseated the card and it didn't help. How can I fix this? Thank you!

-Kevin

3 REPLIES 3
Marko71
Frequent Advisor

Hi Kevin,

Try the following.

1: reseat the cache module.

2: If there are no arrays already created then disconnect both sas cables & see if the card initialises. If it does the connect one cable and try again to try to eliminate one side of the backplane.  If this is sucessfull then try removing 1 drive at a time in case one drive is causing the issue.

If none of this works then its possibly the p400 that has gone faulty, or the sas backplane thats faulty, both are relatively inexpensive  these days.

I notice you havent mention what server your using this card in, if it's a non hp server then you really need an up to date firmware to be sure of decent non hp system compatability.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Keller_2
Frequent Advisor

The server is a ML370/G5. The server has two other P400s installed. As for this card, I reseated the cache, no change. I pulled the cache board and tried it without it. It still gets stuck at "initializing..". I guess there's not much more I can do except replace the card.

-Kevin

Marko71
Frequent Advisor

Yeah I think the card is probably faulty as 3 P400's in the system shouldnt cause any issues.

The only other thing i can think of is some HP firmware block is the issue, as going by HP's rules with 2 drive bays fitted there is no need for a 3rd P400 card.  Possibly it only allows up to 2 internal only SmartArray's & any others must be external capable such as a P411, P800 etc.  

Unlikely I know but it's prorietary HP stuff so you never know.

Cheers

Mark