ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752794 Members
6050 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P410i: multiple LDs "striped" across physical devices?

blueboltvfx
Advisor

P410i: multiple LDs "striped" across physical devices?

On a Dell Perc, i can set up multiple striped/mirrored logical drives on a set of physical drives (i've done it with RAID5 anyhow).  Is this possible in ORCA on P410i?  The system i'm experimenting on (P410i w/o cache) only appears to allow creation of a single LD on a selected set of drives.  I want to build 4x RAID10 LDs on a set of 4 SAS drives.

tia!

4 REPLIES 4
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi there,

HP P410i controller with Zero memory support only two logical drive. You need to upgrade the 256/512 Cache to enable multiple logical drive creation and other advance feature. Please refer quickspecs for more info.

RAID Support

RAID 6, 6+0 (Advanced Data Guarding)
NOTE: RAID 6, 6+0 can be enabled with either

• Minimum of 256 MB cache, Battery kit and Smart Array Advanced Pack License key option upgrades
  • Minimum of 512 MB BBWC/FBWC and Smart Array Advanced Pack License key option upgrades

RAID 5, 5+0 (Distributed Data Guarding)
NOTE: A minimum or 256 MB cache and battery are required to enable RAID 5, 5+0 support of the Smart Array P410iRAID 1+0 (Striping & Mirroring) RAID 0 (Striping)

Logical Drives Supported Zero Memory, Up to 2 logical volumes

QuickSpecs:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13201_na/13201_na.HTML

If the information provided helpful, Click STAR to give Kudos

Thanks,

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

blueboltvfx
Advisor

Thanks for that, Attab. Can you verify that with cache installed, it's possible to stripe multiple LDs across drives ie: not LD's across whole drives but something like, given a 4 disk setup:

1 2 3 4
0 0
LD0 LD0 LD0 LD0
LD1 LD1 LD1 LD1
LD2 LD2 LD2 LD2
LD3 LD3 LD3 LD3

cheers,

- cal

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

Let me understand your requirement with the small explanation:

Array = group of physical drives

Lets say you have 4 hard drive in Array A

4 hard drives supports = Raid 0, 1+0, 5 and raid 6.

so you have Raid 1+0 (mirror and striping), Raid 5 = Distributed Parity with striping (N-1), Raid 6 = double distributed party with striping (N-2) option available

And you can create multiple Logical drive with different raid level within the same Array provided you don't use the entire space while creating a logical drive.

So basically we can devide the total harddrive capacity into multiple logical drive within the same group (array)

Refer to HP Guided troubleshoting : http://h20584.www2.hp.com/hpgt/guides/select?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3883890&lang=en&cc=us  for information.

let me know if I understood your requirement correctly.

Regards,

How to Say Thanks...Click on Star Kudo

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

blueboltvfx
Advisor

Exactly, and in fact i was able to create multiple RAID1 LDs on 2 drives this morning using the Offilne Array Configuration Tool, even lacking cache. ORCA wouldn't allow it, though. Of course, it was just a test - i intend to install proper a flash-backed cache module when i get the HDDs to facilitate RAID10. Thanks very much.