ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752795 Members
5960 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

P420 in DL380p gen8 serializes configuration tasks

Don-Turnbull

P420 in DL380p gen8 serializes configuration tasks

I have a pair of DL380p gen8 servers that I am testing for a storage-intensive application.   doing this requires that I configure them in a number of different ways (changing the RAID config, the stripsize, etc..) and testing the storage performance.

Unfortunately, unlike previous Smart Array controllers, the P420 is only allowing me to manage one logical drive at a time.   For example, on the server with 25, 900GB SAS drives, I have four logical drives for data (RAID5, 6 disks each).   The parity initialization was done one logical drive at a time and took more than a day.  

I am in the middle of changing the ld's from 256k strip size to 128.  The reconfiguration is only allowed one logical drive at a time and each is taking many hours to complete.

I would like the controller to do this sort of thing on all the logical drives affected in parallel.  Is there a setting I am missing that permits this?

1 REPLY 1
JohnThomas
Occasional Visitor

Re: P420 in DL380p gen8 serializes configuration tasks

Hi

The parity initialization with be done on one  logical drive at a time and the rest will be queued and might a messgae parity initialization is currently queued or in progress , and the time can differ with respect to the stripe size .

Be patient.  Large disk arrays and medium to heavy disk I/O on systems become increasingly common

Regards

JT