1748246 Members
3745 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P420 without Flash

anon3847
Occasional Visitor

P420 without Flash

I've just recived my DL380e Gen8 (My first server).

If I try to change the configuration (using the ssacli tool) I get the following reslut:

# ssacli controller all modify hbamode=on forced

Smart Array P420 in Slot 1 (sn: PDSXK0BRH5Q1O7)

CACHE STATUS PROBLEM DETECTED: The controller is disabled because the cache
module is not attached. Please re-attach the
cache module to re-enable the controller.

How do I get it to work WITHOUT a cache?

4 REPLIES 4
BPSingh
HPE Pro

1. I understand that you are looking to set the controller to HBA mode.

Please check of you have disabled (AHCI mode) the onboard B120i controller from RBSU. - To ensure of the error is not for the onboard controller.

2. What happens if you try to re-configure RAID volume (1 or 0 but no RAID 5 since no cache is present) instead of changing to HBA mode? Do you see any issue?

3. Also, did you try with a different version of ssacli? Maybe you can try with an older version which is called hpacucli?

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
anon3847
Occasional Visitor

Yes, I want to enable HBA mode (To run zfs). I haven't checked, the RBSU yet, will do asap. I can't set a RAID mode either. Tried with the ssacli tool as well via Intelligent Provisioning (after POST). The latter doesn't even offer any actions but only shows the error.
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

By default, it should be RAID mode for the P420 controller. Even if the cache is not installed on the P420 controller, it should allow non-parity RAID creation Example: RAID 0 or RAID 1 

Please try booting from offline SSA and check. Before that please check if the B120i is disabled in BIOS.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_50309f0541d14018bb674c59b8 

If the issue persists,  try doing a BIOS defaults and then disable B120i and check. If nogo then we may have to look at the firmware and other details from the logs to further isolate. 

Please log a support ticket to  get this investigated: https://pg-receiver-pro.glb.itcs.hpe.com/WclWeb/WclEntry.aspx

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@anon3847 wrote:

I've just recived my DL380e Gen8 (My first server).

If I try to change the configuration (using the ssacli tool) I get the following reslut:

Smart Array P420 in Slot 1 (sn: PDSXK0BRH5Q1O7)

CACHE STATUS PROBLEM DETECTED: The controller is disabled because the cache
module is not attached. Please re-attach the
cache module to re-enable the controller.

How do I get it to work WITHOUT a cache?

Try specifying the controller 'slot=' instead of using 'all'

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!