ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751975 Members
5016 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Query: P440ar Controller in ERROR status and Accelerator - Wrong Cache Board Attached error

SOLVED
Go to solution
idavenport
Occasional Advisor

P440ar Controller in ERROR status and Accelerator - Wrong Cache Board Attached error

**It doesn't look like I can upload a screenshot so I am putting a link to the screenshot instead**

Our server: HP ProLiant DL380 Gen 9

More info: see image here: https://ianddavenport.voyez.ca/church-resources/

Originally we had this error:

NN - HP Server Disk Alerts FAILED on [server_name] to Permanently Disabled. The controller has detected a problem with the cache and has disabled the c result 3.:856

In HPE, the Controller showed the Cache Module Status was at Failed.

After researching, we determined it was an issue with the cache module battery and replaced it using part 871264-001 as recommended here: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr\_na-c04823226

After we installed it, we received errors for Controller (ERROR status) and the Accelerator (Wrong Cache Board Attached).  See screenshot at link above for a better look at them.  We also noticed that the physical drives are not showing up in HPE, although they are working fine so definitely there (again, see screenshot for info on that).

Any ideas on what the issue may be?  I was thinking either the board is bad as well or the firmware isn't compatible with the new battery module?  Should we try upgrading our firmware?

Thank you kindly for reading this.

-Ian

17 REPLIES 17
support_s
System Recommended

Query: P440ar Controller in ERROR status and Accelerator - Wrong Cache Board Attached error

System recommended content:

1. HPE Smart Array P440ar Controller

2. HPE ProLiant BL/DL/ML Servers - HP Smart Array Controller 17xx Power-On Self-Test (POST) Error 1763, 1783, 1784, 1792, 1794, 1795, and 1796

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo

Maatroskin
Occasional Advisor

Re: Query: P440ar Controller in ERROR status and Accelerator - Wrong Cache Board Attached

I have a similar problem. ProLiant DL380 Gen9 server. The iLO found out that the battery(P/N 727258-B21) of the raid controller (P440ar) died. We purchased a battery, but already with a different P / N p01366-B21 (according to the recommendations on the official HP website), since the batteries with the required part number have already ceased to be produced. Replaced the battery observing all safety precautions. I turned on the server - the battery was degrated, and the old P / N is displayed in iLO. I thought about it, I decided that it was necessary to update the firmware on the server (although it was indicated on the HP office site that you do not need to update the firmware to use the version 2.0 battery). I Downloaded Service Pack for ProLiant P45315_001_gen9spp-2021.10.0-Gen9SPP2021100.2021_1021.32.iso, updated. The situation has not changed at all. Smart array firmware version remains the same(ver 7). And the battery part number in iLO displays the old one. What could be the problem

ksram
HPE Pro

Re: Query: P440ar Controller in ERROR status and Accelerator - Wrong Cache Board Attached

Hi,

Thank you for the Post.

Yes, looks like either the Firmware could be faulty or the Controller firmware itself could be faulty.

Please try reseating the Controller and also update the Firmware and allow 36 - 48 Hours, and check the status.

If the issue remains to be the same, may need a new Controller / Cache.

Share the Controller Model and Firmware details (we were unable to open the Screenshot link)

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Maatroskin
Occasional Advisor

Hi, thanks for the answer.

maybe Is the new battery defective? Or maybe the new battery is not compatible with the controller?

I have restarted iLo (2.78), but no change.

Attached is a screenshot of the controller modelP440ar.JPG

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Would request you to follow the below : 

1) Update the Controller Firmware

2) Check in Smart Storage Administrator if you have option to enble Cache and check.

3) If the issue is same, replace the Battery with :

878643-001 96 W Smart Storage Battery - One battery pack provides Flash Back Write Cache (FBWC) for all the drive controllers in the server - Connects to the system I/O board, 145 mm (5.7-inch) long cable ;

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Maatroskin
Occasional Advisor

You have information, that battery with p/n p01366-B21 is the new version battery with p/n 727-258b21(spare number 815983-001)? I found information on the official website about the release of a new battery (p01366-B21 - spare number 878643-001) for the server(gen9) controller raid( https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00040078en_us ).
I just can't find a battery with part number 727-258b21 on sale.

I bought and installed a battery with part number p01366-B21 - spare number 878643-001. But, as I understand it, the server cannot determine this battery, because the battery with the old part number is displayed in the ilo(screenshot below)
And what is last version firmware smart array controller p440ar?
As you can see in the screenshot from my previous post, I have version 7 of the raid controller firmware. Hypervisor vmware ESXi 6.7 is installed on the server.Smart Storage Battery.JPG

idavenport
Occasional Advisor

Hello, 

Was this an answer to my question (the original post) or the other user Maatroskin ?  If not, can you advise on my question?  If so, can you send me steps on reseating the controller and updating the controller firmware?  Is that different than the device firmware?

Thanks,

Ian

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi @idavenport ,

The suggestions shared were for your query.

Refer : https://techlibrary.hpe.com/docs/iss/DL380_Gen9/setup_install/GUID-F4C2B62F-06CE-4889-9DCE-115579B3A571.html

(This is for installation of the Controller - you may follow the steps to remove and insert the Controller)

Firmware link : https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_e72e09a823154db2bd8dc779aa#tab-history

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

idavenport
Occasional Advisor

Thank you!  I will give it a try and let you know