9134 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

P600, SATA

Fussel
Advisor

P600, SATA

Hi,

I'm trying to use a P600 controller in an ML370 G4 with singular SATA drives (without any enclosure), but it doesn't see any drives.

Has anyone succesfully done this? In another thread I read about people using 1 TB SATA drives on a P400, but I don't know if they mounted them in some kind of enclosure.

Since I already have the SCSI 6-bay enclosure (populated with 6 146GB drives), there is no space left for an HP enclosure. I just wanted to mount 3 cheap drives below the DVD drive. I don't need any hot plug capability, since there won't be any essential data on this array.

Any ideas?

regards
Fussel
3 REPLIES 3
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Re: P600, SATA

you connect the data cables between the hdds and the controller, from where are you getting the power cables to the drives?
Fussel
Advisor

Juan,
thanks for your answer.

Power comes from the power supply via converter/splitter cables. Since there are 2 unused power cables in the DVD compartment, this is no problem. Of course I verified that the drives are spinning.

I just tested the setup with a 3ware 9650SE-4LP controller - it sees the drives and can form a RAID5 array (and yes, it works in the ML370 G4).

I would prefer to use the P600 though because of the BBUs and because I trust HP controllers, having used countless 530x and 640x in my own and my customer's servers without any hiccup.

Your reply seems to imply that there is no need for a special enclosure, meaning the P600 should work with singular non-HP disks. That would mean I have to look at the controller and cable for some defect? The P600 was used, albeit from a good source, the cable is new ...

regards
Fussel
Fussel
Advisor

The controller was defective, after all. With another P600 controller everything works perfectly.