ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753643 Members
5374 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

PCI Bus Error (Slot 0, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0) logged on stuck reboot Windows Server 2016

asteins
Occasional Contributor

PCI Bus Error (Slot 0, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0) logged on stuck reboot Windows Server 2016

Hello, a server DL380 Gen9,  with Windows Server 2016 installed hangs on reboot and only can be started by Cold booting from iLo.

The IML logs Critical errors:

• PCI Bus Error (Slot 0, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0)
  • Unrecoverable System Error (NMI) has occurred. System Firmware will log additional details in a separate IML entry if possible
  • Uncorrectable PCI Express Error (Embedded device, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0, Error status 0x00000000)

FW and drivers have been updated, problem persists.

I'v read the forum posts regarding an fix for Windows server 2008 that fixes a stuck shutdown and logs similar messages, but does this apply to Windows Server 2016 as well?

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/DL380-Gen9-win-server-2008-R2-Stuck-shutdown-screen/td-p/6889278

Has anybody had this king of issue?

4 REPLIES 4
asteins
Occasional Contributor

Re: PCI Bus Error (Slot 0, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0) logged on stuck reboot Windows Server 2016

Some addition details regarding the components in server:

• P840ar Controller
  • 4Port 1G 331i Adapter
  • 8G Dual Channel PCI-e FC HBA
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Re: PCI Bus Error (Slot 0, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0) logged on stuck reboot Windows Server 2016

Hi,

I would suggest following:

1. Please update firmware and drivers to the latest using latest SPP (Online SPP update, so that driver and firmware are on the matching level)

2. Run HW diagnostic to identify any faulty HW components (Insight Diagnostic)

3. Check for any additional error reported in IML which might be helpful for isolating this issue.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

montanaman406
Occasional Visitor

asteins, were you able to resolve this?

We're experiencing the same issue after upgrading our OS on our ProLiant ML350e Gen8.

asteins
Occasional Contributor

Hello,  montanaman406, yes, we resolved this issue. The problem was with WIndows server 2016 and Matrox  video drivers. We had drivers from 2018, we downgraded them to 2016 and that resolved our issue. If you have Windows Server installed on that machine, check the drivers and downgrade them by downloading them to 2016 from hpe support page. Hope that helps.

asteins