1748213 Members
3167 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCI Bus parity error? ML370 when P212 controller installed

Mark Canning

PCI Bus parity error? ML370 when P212 controller installed

Hi,
today I installed a P212 Smart array controller in an ML370 so that an external LTO drive can be attached to the server. On power up I receive the error "PCi Parity error?" and the server will stop booting from that point. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
7 REPLIES 7
oczkov
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have got an identical problem with Smart Array P212 (SMC) but on ML350 G4 server. I wanted to use this SAS HBA for connecting tape autoloader.

So far I have updated BIOS on the ML350 G4, but this didn't help. I will try to update the firmware of the P212 or play with it's settings but this has to be done on some other physical server.

I have found these two compatibility guides: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/c-products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/SA_Compatibility_Marketing_OTT.pdf

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/c-products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/compatibility-matrix.pdf

but I am not 100% convinced that there is no chance to make this configuration work together.

Any help / suggestions will be very appreciated.

Regards,
oczkov
No RISC, no fun!
Mark Canning

Hi,
I never ever got a fix for this despite many calls and a replacement card from HP. ML370 G4 is not on the compatibility list so couldnt push for resolution. Client required new server in the end so this solved the secondary issue.
Sorry I cant be of more help but I think compatibility is the issue.

Regards
Mark
Andras Ordogh
Valued Contributor

hello, Mark,

i think your server and p212 controller not compatible

you can check compatible martix
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/c-products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/SA_Compatibility_Marketing_OTT.pdf

if you don't have at least 40" monitor, you have to print the pdf file :)))

andras

oczkov
Occasional Advisor

Mark,

your answer is valuable for me. At least we know that the issue falls into "non-resolvable" class.

We will probably end up with buying some other (more generic and cheap) SAS HBA like Adaptec 1045.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/products/controllers/hardware/sas/entry/asc-1045/

Regards,
oczkov
No RISC, no fun!
Mark Canning

Hi Andras,

I had already worked that one out some time ago, replay was to relay this info to Oczkov.

thanks though, the info should be confirmation to Oczkov the parts are incompatible.

Regards

Mark
Mark Canning

Hi Oczkov,
yes its a shame to go down the the third party route but sometimes there is no choice, good luck with it.
Regards
Mark
oczkov
Occasional Advisor

Adaptec 1045 worked FINE and was one third of the price of P212!

Conclusions: don't buy HP products if you want to be compatible with other HP products ;-).

Regards,
oczkov
No RISC, no fun!