ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752786 Members
5507 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCI Cards cannot be started

PCI Cards cannot be started

Hello,
I am running a Proliant 2500R Server with Windows 2000 Advanced Server on it. The last time I rebooted the server, I received a message on the Management Display saying: " Driver Array Accelerator Battery depleted - Data Loss". I continued to boot and when I logged on as an Admin, all the PCI Cards ( one LAN and one WLAN Card) were not running and had the message "The device cannot be started. Error Code 10." in their Hardware Profile. The Drive Array Controller runs fine though. I have replaced the cards but the problem still continues. I have also reinstalled Windows and reconfigured the Drive Arrray, and disabled the Drive Array Accelerator but the problem still exists. What is the cause of this problem? Is it the battery of the Driver Array Accelerator the cause of the problem, if yes where is it located? How do I fix this problem?
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Sebastian,
You can start by clearing NVRAM. I have attached the process to accomplish this. Please let us know as to how you make out.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Sebastian,
You can start by clearing NVRAM. I have attached the process to accomplish this. Please let us know as to how you make out.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Sebastian,
Sorry the attachment did not work. There, I am posting the process here.

To Clear NVRAM

How To Clear NVRAM Via the SCU

1. Cycle the power on the Server and upon reboot press F10 when prompted to access the System Configuration Utility.
2. At the Compaq System Configuration Screen you are prompted to ???press any key to continue???.
3. You are now at the MAIN MENU. You must now press ???Ctrl-A??? at this point to be able to access the ADVANCED FEATURES. When Prompted ???ok = enter??? then press the Enter key.
4. Five choices are now available; Choose SYSTEM CONFIGURATION and press ENTER.
5. CONFIGURE HARDWARE is now Highlighted, Press ENTER. The configuration files are now being loaded; this will take between 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Once the configuration is complete a menu pops-up and the choices are ???Save configuration and exit??? or ???Review of Modify hardware setting??? - Choose ???Review or modify hardware settings???
7. There are now five choices in a menu. Choose the third option, which is VIEW OR EDIT DETAILS.
8. Scroll down to the ADVANCED FEATURES menu title, which is located approximately halfway through the menu of options.
9. Select ERASE NON-VOLATILE MEMORY and press ENTER.
10. You are now prompted for two choices YES or NO. Choose YES and press ENTER.
11. Erase Non-Volatile Memory Confirm Yes or No. Choose YES and press ENTER
12. Prompted to shut off server and run the System Configuration. (Turn Off and Wait 10 Seconds)
13. On reboot you will be prompted with 3 choices. Press F10 to access the system Configuration Utility.
14. The Compaq System Configuration Screen will now come up.
15. At the Auto Configuration Menu you will receive a Message: ???Your Computer reported a configuration error. Would you like your computer configured automatically? Yes or No??? Choose YES
16. You will be prompted with a message: ???Use SCI (System Configuration Information) that was backed up in the SCI? Yes or No.??? Choose NO. The backup is a copy of your original configuration that you just erased. (If you did not see this step you must repeat this procedure again).
17. You will now be prompted to choose your Operating System and for the Date and Time.
18. The Configuration Files are now going to be loaded.
19. You are now going to be prompted to 1) Save the configuration and exit 2) Review and Modify Hardware Settings

Choose Save the Configuration and exit.

20. You are now prompted to press ENTER to finish. At this point the server will reboot automatically with the new system configuration.

Regards,

Thanks for those instructions. I have done that as it says, but the problems is still present. I suppose the only solution to this problem is to put new Batteries into the Smart Drive 2/P Array Controller. Unfortunately the are soldered onto the board so it will be quite a lot of work, since there are six batteries to be replaced. But since the Batteries are on a seperate small board which can be removed, is there anyway in getting this little board as a new part cheaply?