4499 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

PCI Express 6pin power inside dl585 G2

memmakersorg
Occasional Contributor

PCI Express 6pin power inside dl585 G2

Hi,

I'm experimenting with GPU computing -- my host machine is a gl585 G2 box.

I'm trying to figure out how do I get PCI Express 6pin power inside a dl585 g2 box -- the GPUs need such connectors.

On a related note -- would love to find how I can get Molex and other such connectors working in a dl585 g2.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: PCI Express 6pin power inside dl585 G2

As far as I know, high-performance GPUs and other PCIe cards that require extra power are generally not supported on DL series Proliant servers, partly because there is no good way to supply the required extra power for them, and partly because high-performance GPUs are likely to have extra high cooling requirements.

DL series servers are "rack-optimized" - i.e. they are designed to pack the maximum amount of processing power into minimum amount of rack space, while still being self-contained and capable of taking _standard_ PCIe add-on cards. This means their internal power and cooling design has tighter tolerances than an average mini-tower PC workstation for power users.

If you need a high-performance GPU on a server, you should consider the ML series servers instead - and verify the availability of required internal power connectors before buying.

MK
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Re: PCI Express 6pin power inside dl585 G2

Older servers like the G2 do not support these newer Graphic cards that require additional power cables. However, some of G6 and G7 ML/DL servers do support them but, you have to buy the power cable kit for that server.