1753595 Members
6234 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCI Express Slot Power

VTEXVSI

PCI Express Slot Power

Hi,
I'm trying to install a telephone card into a PCI Express slot in a DL380G5 and the card diagnostics is telling me I don't have enough power to run the card. I went through the card documentation and it says the slot must supply 25W of power and I can't seem to find anything in the server specs that specifies this.
I'm going to continue troubleshooting and trying another slot (it is currently in slot 5) however it would be good to know this in case I can't figure this out.
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Ostensibly the online QuickSpecs would give power limits - or at least I would think it would, but a quick check suggests they don't :(. 25W seems like a lot to me, but then I'm not fully calibrated to the PCIe specs.

I suppose that one other way to skin that cat would be to lookup the specs of the various I/O cards in the supported list and see which of them if any get close to or beyond 25W.

Is there anything else in a PCImumble slot on the system? IIRC there can be per-slot limits, and then overall limits which may not be the sum of the per-slot limits.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
pankajsgalaxy
Advisor

Hi
I also doubt whether the card will work on this slot. As the power supplied by this slot is around 20-21Watts.

Regards