5955 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: [ PCI-PASSTHROUGHT ] HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331FLR Adapter

fepitre
Occasional Collector

[ PCI-PASSTHROUGHT ] HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331FLR Adapter

Hi,

I'm experiencing problem to perform PCI passthrough of Ethernet card with 4 ports (HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331FLR Adapter) on an HP DL360p Gen8 under XEN and KVM. It's kind of related topic https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04781229 but as it's a FLR card, I don't know how to perform it, or if it's will be the solution. The problem came from that assigning the ports to a domain (HVM or PV mode) share a RMRR, so excluding this region could help like the post suggests.

The pci passthrought worked in PV mode before upgrading the BIOS firmware to the latest provided by HP 2019.05.24(A). Then, after upgrading the bios, the driver in the domain refuses to load due to errors related certainly to access problem to the pci ports.

I also updated ILO and the firmware of the Ethernet adapter but that changed nothing.

I asked to upstream Xen and it seems to be related to the BIOS handling of RMRR.

I know it's not supported but if anyone has found a solution, or at least, has found a compatible PCI-E network card with HP DL360p Gen8 and pci passthrought, any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

1 REPLY 1
KSINGH_2018
HPE Pro

Re: [ PCI-PASSTHROUGHT ] HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331FLR Adapter

The ProLiant Gen8-series servers, with the exception of the HP ProLiant DL580 Gen8 server, can be configured to support device pass-through for the following set of NICs & PCI-Passthrough does not function for All HPE Broadcom NICs:

• HP Ethernet 1GB 2-port 361T Adapter
  • HP Ethernet 1GB 4-port 366M Adapter
  • HP Ethernet 10GB 2-port 560SFP+ Adapter
  • HP Ethernet 10GB 2-port 560M Adapter
  • HP Ethernet 10GB 2-port 561T Adapter
  • HP Ethernet 10GB 1-port P560SFP+ Adapter
SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER ADVISORY

Document ID: c04249126

Version: 3

Advisory: (Revision) HP ProLiant Servers - PCI Passthrough Does Not Function for All HP Broadcom NICs Configured on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, 6, or 7, or SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 or 12 Virtualization Hosts

For any further clarification or technical assistance, kindly log a case with HPE using HPE Support Case Manager (https://www.hpe.com/support/scm)

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo