1753365 Members
5934 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PCI card on HP DL145

Jan Petzold

PCI card on HP DL145

Hi there,

I'd like to use a 32-bit, 5V PCI-card (Multimedia controller) into the DL145 server, which I plan to buy. I've read that current HP servers only have PCI-X sockets, but that they *should* be compatible with PCI cards as well.

However, I have a DL360 here and when I tried to test my PCI-card with the system, it didn't even boot up. Without the card, everything is fine. The manual mentions that both of the PCI-X slots in the DL360 run at 3.3V, so that might be the problem. I couldn't find any information about the voltage of the PCI-X slots in the DL145. Anyway, is there any HP DL server out there where I can be certain that this PCI card will work?
2 REPLIES 2
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: PCI card on HP DL145

The problem ism;t whether it's PCI-x or not, but whether it supports that voltage. I don't think there is a way to be certain the card you have will work. As long as you find a server with 5v, though then it will likely work.

Unfortunately there aren't any currently shipping Proliant servers which have 5v slots. The last 100 series server which had a 5v slot are both the ML110 G2 and ML150 G1. There are no DL100 series servers or any newer servers which have 5v slots.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Jan Petzold

Re: PCI card on HP DL145

Thank you very much, thats really helpful.

As far as I know, there are quite a lot of PCI cards around that run at 5V - so that means that no current HP system supports these devices? Why?