1753311 Members
6584 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCI conflict with HP-supplied LSI U320 SCSI controller

Chuck Davidson
Occasional Advisor

PCI conflict with HP-supplied LSI U320 SCSI controller

I have two DL140 G2 systems, one came with a HP-branded LSI U320 SCSI controller and the other without. I've added a QFE network card to both machines. The one without the SCSI card works fine while the one with the SCSI card no longer sees it and, of course, won't boot. Removing the QFE card allows the SCSI controller to be recognized. I've tried disabling bus-mastering in the BIOS, but that didn't help. Both cards are PCI-X and have no jumpers.

Does anybody have any ideas??
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Chuck,

Would disabling the COM ports (if not required) in the Advanced setup of the BIOS help? Freeing up unused comm ports or USB devices might enable more resources for these cards.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Chuck Davidson
Occasional Advisor

I disabled the SATA controller, the USB controller and even the second built-in NIC. You don't have options to disable the COM ports. Doesn't help.
RGP
Frequent Advisor

Marco_Guillen
Occasional Advisor

RGP gave you a correct answer, another thing you should try is to check the IRQs and be sure that the SCSI controller is not sharing any IRQ with another hardware. Leave the controller alone in an IRQ.
Ask me, and trust my answers lol
Chuck Davidson
Occasional Advisor

I'll pursue the BIOS upgrade, but I saw that article and disregared it because this is not a RAID controller - just a dumb SCSI controller.

Of course these systems don't have floppy drives nor connectors on the motherboard for them, so the upgrade isn't as simple as in the old days.
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Chuck Davidson
Occasional Advisor

OK, so this would seem simple enough, but hasn't worked for me yet. I downloaded the flash drive boot utility, ran it on a flash drive and copied the files from the floppy into the "components" directory. When I try to boot the DL140, it starts loading and then says it can't find VMLINUZ. Well, it doesn't exist on the USB drive, so I'm stumped.
Chuck Davidson
Occasional Advisor

This is getting silly. Format the USB fob as a floppy, getting it's source from the diskette produced by SP32670.exe and you get "Cannot load DOS!". Format the USB fob as a hard drive adn it can't find the VMLINUZ kernel to boot.

What am I missing here? The instructions point you to "www.hp.com", which is about as useless as you can get.
Chuck Davidson
Occasional Advisor

I feel like I'm writing a journal :0

I swapped USB fobs and now it writes the missing Linux files! No errors came out of the drive key boot utility before, but it obviously wasn't writing everything. Darn generic fob...

Now when it finishes booting it says there is nothing to upgrade. I don't know what it's looking for in the components folder, but its ignoring what I put there.

The list of servers with software available for off-line ROM flash does NOT include the DL140.