New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCI slot wrong way round?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ziemowit Kiwer
Occasional Contributor

PCI slot wrong way round?

Hi,
I've go a HP Proliant ML110 G5 server. I recently wanted to add a standard PCI audio card but the PCI slot on the motherboard seems to be placed the wrong way round. The "notch" in the slot is closer to the back of the machine which makes fiiting the card imposible. Is that a standard for those servers. If so, is there a special name for that kind of slot?
Regards
ZK
4 REPLIES 4
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think this machine has 1 standard PCI slot, and the other 3 slots are PCI Express which probably explains why the card won't fit.

Rgds,
Phil
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

predrag81
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi

you have only one 32bit/33MHz on 3.3v PCI slot and the rest three slots are PCI Express architecture and this is only option you may use in that server.

Kind regards,
Predrag
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

Assuming that you really are looking at the right slot, the keying is used for the voltage. PCI cards and slots can be either 3.3V or 5V. A notch near the back of the card (near the metal bracket) is for 3.3V cards, a notch at the other end is for 5V cards, and a notch in both places is for a universal (autosensing) card. Slots can only be one voltage, so they'll only be keyed at one end or the other.

If your slot is keyed at one end and your card is only keyed at the other end then they run at different voltages and are not compatible, even though they are both PCI.