4932 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: PCI slots in CPU2 section

KarlFenech
Occasional Contributor

PCI slots in CPU2 section

Hi, 

we recently purchased an ML350P Gen8 with one CPU.  We need to connect x3 PCI Express Cards to this server.  The supplier is stating that the cards, altough they have a x4 slot, need to be connected to x16 slots as they need additional power.

The ML350P currently only has 1 card connected to slot 1, which is an HBA.  We connected the first card in slot 3 and it worked however when we connected the other two cards to expansion slot 8 and 6, these are not showing in Windows.  My question is are slots 5 to 9 only enabled when CPU2 is installed on the server?

Strangly enough, when I connect the cards using x8 slots (7 and 9) they can power up and see them in Windows however the supplier is advised that PCIe x8 slots do not give enough power needed for these cards.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

see

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04128239

chapter

Expansion Slots

slots 1-4 CPU1, slots 5-9 CPU2

same information is in service and user guide (table Rear panel components) and even at the label at the chassis cover.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
KarlFenech
Occasional Contributor

Hi and thanks for the link which I had already explored.  In the documentation it clearly states that slot 5 to 9 are only for CPU2, but then how come PCIE x4 cards work and are identified by Windows?

Karl