108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCI video card for ML110 G5?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gustavo Fischer

PCI video card for ML110 G5?

Hi,

I'm using an HP ML110 G5 as a workstation, and I want to install a better video card (the onboard one is awful for higher resolutions, the refresh rate is unbearable. And yes, I have the latest drivers).

I was unable to install any PCI express video cards due to it not having a PCI-e 16x slot, so now I'm looking into PCI video cards.

Has anyone had success installing a PCI video card on these servers? In particular, will a HP Nvidia Quadro work?

Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor
Solution

This are you slot

ML110
Slot 1: PCI 32-bit/33MHz at 3.3V
Slot 2: PCI-Express x8 connector with x1 link
Slot 3: PCI-Express x8 connector with x1 link
Slot 4: PCI-Express x8 connector with x8 link

I use a dc7900 with these slot
(3) PCI
(1) PCI Express x1
(2) PCI Express x16

I use has video card NVS 290 and Quadro NVS 440 and they work very fine

Say thank you with hp points ,there situated next to every messages in you re tread has UNASSIGNED,people can see how many you apply by answer,that how they decide to help you.

Have a nice day.

Daniel
Gustavo Fischer

Thanks for your swift reply.

As you posted, the ML110 doesn't have a PCI Express x16 slot, which has caused me many headaches.

I'm not sure if your experience with the dc7900 applies, since it's a workstation and the ML is a server, but thank you anyway.

If someone has had experience with a ML110 (preferrably G5) and video cards, I'd still like to hear it :)

Thanks again,

Gustavo Fischer
Gustavo Fischer

I finally installed an old GeForce MX4000 PCI video card, and can now use my new monitor at native resolution (1440x900 with 32 bit color).

Thanks for the answers.

It does not speak well of the G5, however, that even such an ancient video card is way better than the onboard one.
gianluca71

Hi everybody,
I'd like to use my HP Proliant ML110 G3 as a multimedia workstation.
What video and audio cards can I use?
Thank you. Bye.
Michaelp_2

Hello, I have an ML110 and I have fitted a Geforce 9500GT. It runs ok but does not run to its full potential with only being a x8 slot. I use it as a workstation, I am interested in what kind of sound card could be fitted.
Gustavo Fischer

Hi, I'm using a five dollar USB sound card :)
blouis79
Advisor

Michaelp, what brand of 9500GT did you find? I couldn't find *any* PCI-e 8x graphics cards. I have read of people using 8x-16x converters but that ruins the hardware installation. Others have been chopping the back out of the PCIx8 slot so a longer card will fit, but some people report cards not being recognised.

eVGA makes a PCI card with 8400GS (512-P1-N724-LR).
blouis79
Advisor

I have the EVGA PCI card. Card works fine, though performance needs to have support for the card's onboard H.264 processing to do HDTV.
FJ HERNANDEZ

on the ML110...Guys how about using an nvidia fx5200 while keeping the internal card?

Can I use them at the same time with two different monitors?

Regards,

Fj