1752372 Members
5900 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PCIe card problem with ML110 G7

LeifDav
Occasional Visitor

PCIe card problem with ML110 G7

We bought a ML110 G7 to act as a media Server hub. Have installed Ubuntu and tried to install a TV Tuner card in the PCIe slots - but no matter what we do, the card is not recognised as being installed. Drivers have loaded ok. The card was detected in another machine when we tried that - but nothing detected in the HP server. Are there any diagnostic routines we can add to test the PCIe slots actually are working or whether there is a motherboard problem. We don't have any other PCIe cards to plug in and try. 

Also along with the Server we bought some additional memory ( Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory Kit Non-ECC CL9 1.5V) as that seemed to be compatible with the G7 - and have tried every combination of the memory installation, with or without the supplied memory - and if any of the new memory is installed the server refuses to get to even the boot screen. So we are hoping the memory is bad, and it is not another h/w problem with the Server. Again is there anyway to detect this?

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: PCIe card problem with ML110 G7

Hi,

Just make sure the TV Tuner card is compatible with the server.  If the card was detected in another machine, what machine is that?

ML110 G7 has 4 Expansion Slots with X1, X4 and X16 bus widths.  So you need to check what technology is that TV Tuner card.

Good Luck!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

The server is fine, but the TV Tuner card and the Kingston dimms are not supported in Proliant servers. You can check the quickspecs of the server for supported devices.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14012_div/14012_div.pdf

Thanks,

regards

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
LeifDav
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the responses - the Tuner card is a PCie x1 slot but we have tried it in all 4 slots, both with and without hooking up the power.

With regards to the specs and the memory and Tuner card not being supported - I am confused. Are you saying, and are the specs saying that only a few limited items can actually be plugged in to the Server? That the memory specs don't actually apply in general terms and you can only add HP branded memory?

And that the PCIe slots don't actually support PCIe cards?

That would seem to be bizarre.

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

This is just from my experience with hp servers. They are very sensible, when you add some non hp labeled hardware. You can check with HP support for official statement.

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!