5050 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PL 1600 Error code on boot "178 Processor Configuration invalid"

SOLVED
Go to solution
jonathan musk_1

PL 1600 Error code on boot "178 Processor Configuration invalid"

My PL 1600 had 1 P3 500 in it. I aquired a second power module and installed a second P3 500. Since then, on boot I have been getting the following message: "178 Processor Configuration Invalid."

I seem to be able to locate any documentation anywhere that tells me how to fix that error. The system works fine. I haven't reinstalled Win2k yet to see if it picks up the second processor. I was hopping to take care or the error code first.

I am suspecting a jumper or switch which needs to be toggled, but I don't find any references to it. Can anyone help me out? Please?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Symen
Frequent Advisor

Re: PL 1600 Error code on boot "178 Processor Configuration invalid"

Try swapping the processors around. It might help if your processors have a different stepping
Mike Ross_3
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Hi, given that you are installing a 2nd P3 500, the dip-switches on the system board will not need changing (but you could check them to be sure they are correct - there is a matrix of options screen printed on the board in tiny print right next to the dip-switches, you will need a bright light to see them). After that you need to cold boot from your smartstart CD and run the system config (1st icon) so that the config files are updated with info about your new 2nd CPU. Then powercycle the server and you will find the error message will have gone away. Cheers
Robin_37
Trusted Contributor

Run the system configuration utility F10 setup or boot from the smart start and run system configuration utility and save your configuration

Regards

Robin
jonathan musk_1

Everybody, thank you for your responses.

Symen, the processors swapping did not work. The problem was not hardware. Thank you for the advice, anyway. I do appreciate it.

Mike and Robin, the advice about using the SmartStart CD was exactly what I needed. When I first got the PL1600, it did not come with a SmartStart CD. My brother-in-law in the IT department of Kemet heard I was looking for one and found me V5.30. That was a couple of weeks ago. I am beginning to see that the SmartStart CD is the Gatekeeper to all things Proliant. Thank you very much for your advice.

Thanks again,

Jonathan