108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PL 1600 window 2000

SOLVED
Go to solution
elvin gonzalez
Advisor

PL 1600 window 2000

Ok, the problem that i can see looks like when i'm using scu to setup the server before loading windows is that it stays stuck at checking for plug and play for hours even can anyone confirm what should be the time frame on this if it really takes that long and what could be the cause only thing i add was a pci video card everything else was there just got this as a gift.Ah and i don't have the famous smart start cd.totally a noobie to it.
22 REPLIES 22
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Re: PL 1600 window 2000

Which model PL1600 do you have? This server started as a PII 266, is it at least the PII 350 MHz? Windows 2000 support from HP/Compaq started with the 350 MHz version.
elvin gonzalez
Advisor

Oh im sorry it's a 300 mhz and 512 cache it has 3 18 gigs hard drives.I try again to get scu working when i boot says fix drive error i'm trying to let the scu fix it as it says it trys stuck on loading plug and play still.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Sounds like there might be an actuall hardware problem - this may not be an OS install issue at all. Have you tried any other operating system?
What is the history on this server? What OS was it running?
Try taking out the video card and working just with the original hardware. Have you checked that this video card is Microsoft 2000 compatible?
elvin gonzalez
Advisor

Oh i forgot to add all it has added is a pci card and io have disable the built on one from the sweitch.It has cdrom / floppy / data tape install on it too.Has 512 memory as well.So sorry so much info on these thing but I"m trying.
elvin gonzalez
Advisor

It had win nt on it i did get it to install win 2k but when i shut it down i couldn't boot up to it as i didn't know about the scu that i should have use.the card is nvidia card and is compatible.but i can take out fast right now and try that.Also i did just unplug the other 2 hard drives just to see if that helps is that a good i idea or not
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor
Solution

It would be easier to try this with the Smart Start CD. For the PL1600 you need the 5.50 CD. This can be ordered online if you wish:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/PSM_subscription.html

Otherwise I would use the original hardware and start from scratch with the 2000 install - I see no reason to pull any hard drives.

Let me add one more reference, the "Installing 2000 on Proliants" document:

http://h200007.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_tc030911in_rev5_us/TPM_tc030911in_rev5_us.pdf
elvin gonzalez
Advisor

woot that did it i removed the video card and bingo.Ok that solve that problem but why i can't install card i have read people have done it or do i need to install window first then go back and try that.Thanks for your help in guide on how to install window I appreciated alot.I'm sure i will need more guide in the right path.OH i put the the hard drives back in and didn't get the error on fix disk either.just so u know.Is there a guide anywhere on how to continue with the scu and what to select and do info like that.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Not exactly sure what you mean by "continuing with the scu"? What do you need to do now?
You can try adding the video card and see if Windows 2000 will work with it. But I would first:

1. Do a full backup
2. Create a ERD (Emergency Repair Disk)
Otherwise you could be reinstalling again!
elvin gonzalez
Advisor

system array controller do i need to do that too and if so where to get a download for that part I have 3 hard drives so don't i need to do that.