1753417 Members
5078 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PL1600 SCSI diskspace discrepancy

Jonathan Musk
Occasional Advisor

PL1600 SCSI diskspace discrepancy

ProLiant 1600 P3 500mHz (one processor), 386mb RAM, SmartArray 3200, 4 18.2gb SCSI drives. The computer was handed over to me on the condition that if I could get it going, I could have it for $50. Just installed Win 2K Pro. Seems to work without a hitch.

I do not have the SmartStart CD yet. I am trying to find it. However, I will be content with the diskette version of the ACU for now.

My main problem is that there seems to be a diskspace discrepancy between the combined diskspace value of the number of drives I have verses the space my computer says I have. If I add up all four drives, I should have the equivalent of 72.8gb of HDD space, but the Compaq Array Config Utility only shows me 2 logical drives:
LD1 34727mb, RAID 5
LD2 17363mb, RAID 5
Looking at "Physical Drives" in the utility shows me all 4 drives (ID 2-5).

I am assuming that somebody striped 2 drives to make LD1. I defined LD2. This still leaves me with the equivalent of 1 HDD missing.

I wish to stripe all 4 drives into a single logical drive. I am assuming that I must do this with either the SmartStart CD or with the bootable utility on diskette.

Can someone please explain to me what is going on with the SCSI array resulting in 18gb missing? I am not only new to SCSI but new to servers. My experience is limitted to building normal PCs with an IDE family of drives.

Also I can only find a Windows version of the ACU. Will someone either send me or point me in the direction of the diskette version?

Thanks
Roads go ever on and on under cloud and under star, yet feet that wandering have gone turn at last to home afar. --JRR Tolkien
3 REPLIES 3
Jonathan Musk
Occasional Advisor

Re: PL1600 SCSI diskspace discrepancy

I just dicovered where the 4th drive went - it is used for fault tollerance.

However, that still leaves me with the question of whether or not there is any way that I can use all 4 drives as a single logical drive and skip the fault tollerance.
Roads go ever on and on under cloud and under star, yet feet that wandering have gone turn at last to home afar. --JRR Tolkien
Jonathan Musk
Occasional Advisor

Ooooops . . . . 384mb of RAM . . .
Jonathan Musk
Occasional Advisor

I have posted in this thread what I have already discovered - losing one drive to fault tollerance. I have restated my questions and posted them in different threads. Thanks to all those who looked at my question.

Thanks.