1752799 Members
6055 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PL1600R/500 Win2K Upgrade gone bad.

Daniel Groebe
Occasional Contributor

PL1600R/500 Win2K Upgrade gone bad.

First I would like to thank anyone who could help me (In a really bad situation). Winnt 4.0 File server and PDC while performing inplace upgrade to win2K in text mode installation 3% of file copy install stops and complains that cannot find file agentanm.dll, if you skip it the next file cannot be found. Tried several installation disc, replaced CD-ROM 3 times, replaced CD-ROM and SCSI cables, Loaded correct CD-ROM drivers during textmode install using F6, upgraded latest BIOS for computer and Smart Array 3200 controller, I have spent hours looking through forums posting and reading other post I can't find anyone with the same problem or anyone that could help. Would the smart start CD make a difference, my understanding is that is won't? Where could I find one with the correct drivers?
4 REPLIES 4
Mike Stevens_2
Frequent Advisor

My suggestion would be to get a new, in the box, CD-ROM drive. Install it in the computer and try again. If the install fails once more, I would see if you can't locate another copy of your Windows 2000 Server disk. I've only seen this problem with bad cd-rom drives and bad cd's. I know you stated that you replaced the cd-rom drive a few times already, but it wouldn't hurt to have a known good drive to be 100% sure that you didn't run into a few bad drives to begin with. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the processor board that controls the IDE channels could be bad. If this is the case, you can find them on Ebay for not a lot of money.

Good Luck,

Mike Stevens
Daniel Groebe
Occasional Contributor

I thank you very much for your reply, but I have replaced the CD-ROM Drive with known working drives and several copies of Windows 2000 (in retail box) which have since been verified working. The IDE controller works because this is a production system and it was the weekend, I had to bring it back up before Monday and reinstalled Windows NT 4.0 without a problem. The system blue screened when I would try to boot into the previous install of WINNT. I think I have a good idea of how to fix this one though. I am going to run the upgrade directly from the hard drive. I will pos to tell you guy's what happened.
e4services
Honored Contributor

To do this follow this document.
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/papers/tc030612in_rev00_us.pdf

It is VERY important to follow these steps and run the primer utility. ANd should get you through all the hurdles
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

One thing it does say is:
"HP software update The system software should be updated before migrating your hardware and upgrading your operating system. You need these files to make certain that your drivers correctly recognize the new server├в s configuration. In addition, during the Windows 2000 installation process, the Compaq Primer Utility for Microsoft Windows 2000 will remove several utilities and drivers. If the files are not updated during this stage, they might not be properly removed from the Windows Registry when the Primer Utility run
Hot Swap Hard Drives