Occasional Visitor

PL1600R hardware problem

How to resolve NMI: Parity check/Memory Parity error
7 REPLIES
Stf
Esteemed Contributor

Re: PL1600R hardware problem

Hello,

Did this message is due to an upgrade CPU or memory or did it appears without any hardware changes?

Stf ;-)
Stf
Esteemed Contributor
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Does your Proliant 1600 have a 500Mhz or above CPU(s) installed? If it is a 550Mhz or 600Mhz CPU(s) then do you have the thermal kit installed?

The easiest way to tell is to remove the processor cage and check that there is a piece of foam attached to the lid of the processor cage when you open it with the thumbscrew. This is essential for cooling the higher speed CPUs and memory dimms.

There is also a newer fan attached to the processor cage for higher speed CPU's. If you look at the fan on the processor cage it should have a label showing 12V DC 0.80 Amp. The older fan was 0.49 Amp.

These components are essential to keep the higher speed Proliant 1600's cool. One of the symptoms of overheating is NMI Parity errors although there are other sources for this problem, mainly on the processor cage again.

I hope this helps,

Brian
Timothy Cusson
Valued Contributor

There is a known problem with Fairchild chips on the PL1600 system board, see the attached engineering advisory EL020125_EW01. Basically, the Fairchild chips are bad and the Texas Instrument chips are good. I've solved several strange and intermittent problems by replacing the system board/cage assembly, spare number 313622-001.

Regards,

Tim
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim,

That's an HP Confidential document.

I'm aware of the problem too but sometimes when the processor cage is swapped by an engineer, the cooling options are missing on the replacement and this leads to the overheating.

Please be careful when issuing documentation to the forum. HP don't want engineering advisories sent to the public. Only Customer Advisories are allowed to be publicly available.

I'm not getting on my soap box or anything like that but manufacturers are very careful regarding what should be publicly available for and protect proprietry information.

Regards,

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim,

That's an HP Confidential document.

I'm aware of the problem too but sometimes when the processor cage is swapped by an engineer, the cooling options are missing on the replacement and this leads to the overheating.

Please be careful when issuing documentation to the forum. HP don't want engineering advisories sent to the public. Only Customer Advisories are allowed to be publicly available.

I'm not getting on my soap box or anything like that but manufacturers are very careful regarding what should be publicly available and protect proprietry information.

Regards,

Brian
Timothy Cusson
Valued Contributor

Hi Brian,

This was my first post, I didn't know this was a public forum. By the way, there is a non-confidential service advisory on this issue.

Regards,

Tim