6048 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PL3000, SmartArray 3200 and RAID 5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rodrigo Valenzuela

PL3000, SmartArray 3200 and RAID 5

Hi, I have a PL3000 with a Smartarray 3200. This card has 4 18.2 SCSI disks connected and one of them died after a power failure some days ago. I got the spare part and I am ready to get it installed, but how should I do this? The 4 disks are in a RAID 5 configuration and the server is running in "interim recovery mode".
Thank you in advance for your help.
6 REPLIES 6
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hello;

As long as the failed drive has a failed LED (or none) you can remove it and add the new drive into the array.

The array will rebuild to the replacement drive automatically.

Cheers,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Rodrigo Valenzuela

The problem is that I already tried that. I shutdown the server, plug the new disk, but then the server does not boot...
The disk leds seem to be OK.
Should I do something with the SmartStart CD? Right now, the server is running only with three disks, and if one of them dies...

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your answer.

R
Jens Baumann_2
Frequent Advisor
Solution

What do you mean by "does not boot"? Are there error messages? Or does the server not start at all? Basically, you just should pull out the defective disk and put in the new one - even while the server is running.
Rodrigo Valenzuela

OK, I plugged the new disk again, but this time I did not shutdown the Proliant... It seems to be OK, the LEDs are green, and it seems to be doing something. How will I know when the RAID has been rebuilt?
Is there anything else that I should do?
Thank you again...

R
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

If you run the array configuration utility (either running it within Windows or booting off the Smart Start CD) you will be able to watch the progress of the rebuild.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Rodrigo Valenzuela

Yep, you were all on the right track. It was me that just could not believe all was as simple as plug the new disk and wait...
Thank you very very much to all that helped with their comments/suggestions with this problem.

R