4555 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PL3000 dip settings for 600Mhz CPUs

Netman_1
Advisor

PL3000 dip settings for 600Mhz CPUs

Hi guys,

I have downloaded all (and I do mean all!) 2.7GB of service and specification PDFs from Compaq's FTP site only to come up short here.

I have a PL3000 with dual 500Mhz CPUs. The VRMs are correct for the 600's but I cannot for the life of me find the dip settings for 600Mhz clock speeds.

Can anyone send me to the document and/or provide the correct switch settings?

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Netman,
Here are the settings for 600Mhz CPU plus more:

SW2 - Processor Speed Switch Settings
Bus/Core Ratio SW1 SW2 SW3 SW4 SW5 SW6
350 MHz ON ON OFF OFF OFF OFF
400 MHz ON OFF ON ON OFF OFF
450 MHz ON OFF ON OFF OFF OFF
500 MHz ON OFF OFF ON OFF OFF
550 MHz ON OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF
600 MHz OFF ON ON ON OFF OFF

Regards,
Netman_1
Advisor

Wonderful!

Now for the million dollar question...

You have given information to others regarding the three motherboards in this server. I have the first model motherboard(400-500Mhz). What is the difference in these boards? I understand the 600Mhz board has a different part number, but since the 500Mhz specs are the same except for the clock speeds. Is it just the multiplier that was changed for each incremental release after the 500 - thus requiring a new board?

I just want to be sure that these setting changes don't fry anything.

Thanks again.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Netman,
Aparently the motherboard for PIII 600 has sensors and some other components capable of handling the thermal conditions and other loads ( I'm do not the real electonic words). I would definitely avoid using the system board other then which is suppose to be used for the particular CPU. I had a customer who went through this and would not suggest anything otherwise.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Netman,
Was your problem resolved with the dip switch settings I provided to you?? If so please let us know.

Thanks,
Netman_1
Advisor

Your table is very helpful, however I am not going to tempt fate and install the 600s on this mainboard. I will find the correct board first.

Thanks for the help.