ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753759 Members
4876 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PLEASE HELP - ProLiant BL Power Enc. Firmware Problem..

MC1903
Regular Advisor

PLEASE HELP - ProLiant BL Power Enc. Firmware Problem..

Hi,

I am in the middle of a BL p-Class installation and I have a problem with the firmware revision on one of my power enclosures.

I have 2 single phase (4 PSU) power enclosures, a Mini Bus Bar (with the Dual Input Kit) and 3 x enhanced blade enclosures.

When I power the kit up all of the servers light up the red fault LED.

I have managed to find the reason for this by using the iLo on one of those blade servers (BL20PG2)... One of the power enclosures needs to be upgraded from f/w v1.10 to f/w v2.30.

My problem is that the fix for this seem to rely on having an OS on the blade server in order to download the f/w upgrade and I havenтАЩt!!

Is there any way I can upgrade the power enclosure firmware via the maintenance serial port?

I am desperate for help here - my only other option is to DOA the power enclosure - but that is not straight forward either.

Loads of points available as usualтАж.

Martin
2 REPLIES 2
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: PLEASE HELP - ProLiant BL Power Enc. Firmware Problem..

Martin,

I believe there is a workaround to this using the serial port.

Your problem is due to the power enclosure having a new style 10 digit serial number and the fact that the Power Management Module has firmware 1.10 which only knows about 12 digit serial numbers. When it checks and finds a mismatch, the red leds are illuminated as this is considered a fault.

Workaround
==========
As a workaround, attach to the power enclosure service port with a serial cable and run infrastructure diagnostics. Use the "E" option to set the power enclosure serial number. Add two spaces to the end of the serial number.

Refer to chapter 3 of the HP ProLiant BL p-Class System Maintenance and Service Guide for detailed information about running infrastructure diagnostics. The HP ProLiant BL p-Class System Maintenance and Service Guide is available at the following URL:

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00065042/c00065042.pdf

The newer version of the Power Management Module firmware will properly decode 10-digit serial numbers.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Michael Boots_1
Advisor

Re: PLEASE HELP - ProLiant BL Power Enc. Firmware Problem..

Thanks heaps Brian. Just had this problem this morning, and you saved the day mate.

Of note in my situation we had the following H/W:

Enhanced Chasis
3 Phase Power Chasis fully populated
1 x BL20p
mini bus bars

When i added the two spaces to the end of the serial number, and reset the management controller, it didn't appear to work. Changed the spaces into zero's, and used then used the manual power button on the blade (held down for 5 - 10 secs) and it all worked. Not sure if the spaces not working was just something i did differently.

Thanks again
Do you know Prov0?