1752794 Members
6434 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: POST Error 177 Raid Controller Order not Configured

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

POST Error 177 Raid Controller Order not Configured

Hi. I have this server and it has been running like a champ for 3 years now. Every month I reboot it because of memory leaks in NT4 for general maintenance. This last time I rebooted it I was greeted with this nasty message... "POST Error 177. RAID Controller Order is not configured, Incomplete configuration". I was able to get it going again by rebooting it and going through some menu's about Which OS was installed and What Version is it. All the drive lights are green so my drives are OK. I have looked around the web and have seen articles about running the configuration routine to fix it. One problem though, this server was set up by some consultants and they did not use SmartStart to configure the RAID arrays. There are no RAID utilities to use (At least within WindowsNT or anywhere else I can see). Is there some way to make sure I don't see this message again anytime soon? Or did the boot-up menus I went through to bring the server up do the trick. I will need to reboot it again in a couple weeks and would like to be ready to fix any problems then.

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

This can happen if the switches for SW2 have been changed. Please make sure all of these switches are set to off unless it's a Rack model. If it is then make sure #3 is set to on.
Also:
1. Run System Erase please remove HDD first as this is DATA DESTRUCTIVE.
2. Reinserted HDD
3. Run SCU and save the F10 settings.
Please keep me posted.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your advice but I have some questions. I am the only one with access to this box and I can assure you that no switches outside or inside the box have been changed since the box went live 3 years ago. This is a rack mount model. Where are these switches you are talking about and furthermore where is the Erase Utility, and should I remove all HDD's before doing this. I have the following RAID configuration...
2x 9.1GB (Raid 1)
3x 9.1GB (Raid 5)
Last but not least, what is "SCU"?
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Can you please provide me your e-mail address and then I can get your phone number to give you a call.
Thank you.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

brian.frook@halifax.org
Michael Chavez_1

Was there a solution for this old Post. I am having the same issue with the same senario as above. I started getting blus screens on the server and now the above error 177 is hapening. The server was setup by a lan admin that is no longer with the compnay and the system utilities were not loaded onto a partition but I do have a smat start CD.
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor

looks like you gots yourself a bad cmoss battery or corrupt NVRAM. i've seen this a million times. use the backup sci file when prompted.

you really dont need smart start to set up a server as long as you run the psp when you finish. smart start just makes the setup of the server easier.