ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753506 Members
4999 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PPM - Error (Orange(red) light on the panel)

N.Arif
Occasional Contributor

PPM - Error (Orange(red) light on the panel)

This has happend twice. My Server gets shuted down, by it self, and a orange light is blinking.

By checking on the panel the light is showing that there is something wrong with the PPM(the image is like a battery).

And then when I restart it everything works fine. What is the problem? What is PPM and how can I solve it?

My Server is a HP DL proliant 360, has batterybacked casche, and 2 Cpu's...

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

PPM = Processor Power Module.

It's the component that produces the correct voltages for your specific processor model.

The PPM is one of the probable thermal hot spots within the server, so it's one of places where the electrical components are subjected to significant wear and tear (thermal stress).

If the voltages produced within the PPM are not within certain tolerances, the server will shut itself down to protect against hardware damage and/or data corruption.

Get a new PPM that matches your server and CPU model, shut down the server, pull out the old one and plug the new one in.

MK
MK
N.Arif
Occasional Contributor

Okej,, Well I haven't had the server for a long time. When I orderd the server it came with one CPU, But I had also orderd 1 more CPU. So I installed by putting it inside. just like that, no more changes.

I didn't change the PPM or anything else. Can the reson be that I installed wrong the other cpu? Did I need a new PPM to handle 2 CPU's?

So I guess that the PPM is broken???
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

This is all described very clearly in the manuals of your server. Have you tried reading the manuals?

The manuals are available in PDF form from HP webpages:
http://www.hp.com/go/support

But in general, if your system board has a matching number of PPM slots and CPU slots, then it usually means you will have to install another PPM when you install another processor. When you order a CPU kit for your server model from HP, the box typically contains the CPU, its heat sink and the PPM (if required).

MK
MK
sumit110

Hi M K,

for your information in this server PPM is inbuild on system board so how to pull out and plug new one.