1752579 Members
3035 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

PROLIANT ML350 without hd´s SCSI

raul muñoz
Occasional Contributor

PROLIANT ML350 without hd´s SCSI

Hello, i buy a server PROLIANT ML350 without hd´s SCSI. I install a hd ATA100 in the server and i install a win2000 server. I start the instalation from cd:
1º format hd is ok
2º copy the archives to hd is ok
3º but when the installation reset don´t run win2000.
¿Don´t run this server with hd´s ATA100?
¿I need hd SCSI?
3 REPLIES 3
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: PROLIANT ML350 without hd´s SCSI

They was recently another post like yours.
The drive obviously is OK to the IDE controller, i.e. the BIOS has the firmware to handle the hard, but my guess is that Windows is installing a drive that is not capable with the controller. I would try installing the Compaq driver during the installation when windows asks if you want to load any additional drives.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

In looking into this further, i.e. the ML350 Installation Guide, There is not a lot of discussion of the IDE controller. They give you 2 channels of IDE, but like HP there is a note:
"Your server includes one IDE cable that can connect up to two IDE devices to the system...."
"Note: IDE hard drives are not supported"

Hp did the same thing in the Netserver, limiting the BIOS to not having the translation tables for modern IDE hard drives. But, having said that, you proved it was able to handle the drive you installed. So if using the Compaq IDE controller drive does not resolve the issue, you most probebly need to add a secondary IDE Controller card. Disable the unuser onboard IDE ports and SCSI. Install the new card (Adaptec is a good choice, a bit more, but the best). THe card with install its own BIOS to handle the drive.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
raul muñoz
Occasional Contributor

thank you very...very much.