cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROLIANT ML530 - RAID 5 - DISK REPLACEMENT

Richard Prosser_1
Occasional Contributor

PROLIANT ML530 - RAID 5 - DISK REPLACEMENT

I was wondering if you could help me with a query, I have 2 Compaq Proliant ML530 free standing servers. One is our production server, the other a development server. Both servers are over 4 years old so I am expecting possible disk failure at some point on the production server.

I have Raid 5 arrays in each server. Following a disk failure in the production server my plan would be to remove a working disk from the none business critical development server and use it to replace the failed disk in the production server. Would this work or do I need a blank formatted disk to replace a failure with ?

Thanks Guys - Rich

6 REPLIES
Marko H.
Valued Contributor

Re: PROLIANT ML530 - RAID 5 - DISK REPLACEMENT

Hello Rich

Your plan would work.
The only thing to add would be that the replacement disk has to be the same capacity or higher as the failed disk.
You don't need a blank formatted disk - just a good working one.

-marko
Richard Prosser_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks - Marko.

Rich
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Be careful with some steps, it's really depend how you do, a failed disk can be replaced on the fly, recovery mode should be enabled, if disk used previously and Erase Utility not used over it, don't replace drive when system down, only on the fly. If you bring system down to replace with previously used drive - you might get corrupt RIS table with array Configuration. As time stamp trigger the lastly powered array to be first at next restart.
Richard Prosser_1
Occasional Contributor

So just to get this straight KOV, in the event of a failure of one disk in my RAID 5 array the steps would be simply remove the failed disk, and replace with an identical (but previously used) disk without taking the server down and without any need to use the Compaq Array Configuration Utility ?

And would the same be true for a mirror set ?

Thanks - Richard
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

When drives fails from Array Configuration Utility, you should be able see recovery mode status, something like Interim Recovery mode enabled, or from IML, IM ... than you can pop in drive on the fly. Rule is same for all HW RAID configurations. You don't have to Open ACU to enable Recovery, if Server up to date and all latest agents, firmware and drivers Installed - process will start automatically for you. When you replace drive you use same size or bigger if it's critical to keep Array safe (after you can replace back with correct size). See attachment for some fundamentals.
Richard Prosser_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks KOV - The attachment was particularly helpful.