1752600 Members
4741 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PSP 7.40A teaming problem

Bob_182
Occasional Contributor

PSP 7.40A teaming problem

I upgraded an old Proliant 5500 with teamed NC6134 nics from PSP 7.30A to 7.40A. On the restart the teamed NIC would no longer communicate with the network, cannot ping the gateway, etc. If I disable and re-enable the team nic it will start to communicate again. Every time I restart the server the nic stops communicating. I've also found that I can disable and re-enable the switch ports to make the nic start talking again. I've tried breaking the team and re-establishing it, no luck. It works fine until a reboot.
7 REPLIES 7
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

I've had similar issues with some NICs after PSP upgrades.

I usually resolve this by removing both NICs and Teaming from device manager and then rebooting. Windows will then redetect the NICs on bootup. Check Device Manager to make sure windows is loading the latest version of the drivers for both NICs. If it's not, then manually upgrade the drivers right from there. After that checks out, then re-create the team.
Gary Connolly_1
Advisor

just as an addition to this I had to upgrade the driver before being allowed to team, I did this in the device manager and had to extract cp005567.exe and point to this location. I was upgrading a DL380 G4 at the time.

I've the same problem

I'm installing brand new BL20p G3 servers.
The Enclosures are equiped with pass-through patch panels.

Same issue, after reboot no outgoing traffic, disable and enable the interface and everthing works fine until reboot.

At first I thought it was the slipstreamed install of W2K3 with sp1, you know the SCW stuff that "firewalls" all your nic's until you close the wizard.

In this case the customer doesn't have an extra switch yet for the redundant connection, so we configured the team while one team-member isn't plugged into a switch.

Simply disabling the unplugged team member or plugging into a switch solves my problem.

This kind of setup should work without this work around, is it ???

I had the same problem, which cause a production system about 6 hours of downtime and 4 of us working on the problem. Not too cool, HP. Your patches and updates are supposed to fix problems, not cause them!!!!!!
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

before updating the PSP you didnt have the nic driver forced to a specific duplex did you? usually installing a new driver will force the settings back to defaults. perhaps there is a duplex mismatch?

No mis-match. All NIC's were identical and set to 100/full. I guess my point is that HP updates shouldn't break things, should fix/enhance them instead.

Maybe it is an "undocumented feature" for the NIC team to not function after updating.
Bob_182
Occasional Contributor

On my servers the team settings were set to defaults before upgrading to 7.40, including the "Team type selection" and "Transmit Load Balancing Method" being set to automatic. After upgrading, the only way the team will consistently connect to the switch is to change the team settings to "Switch assisted load balancing" on "destination MAC address". All my switches are Nortel 8600's. I don't know if this makes any difference but it wouldn't be the first time we've run into incompatiblities with these switches. The problem has occurred with both copper and fiber teams.