4483 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PSP 8 and Domain Controllers

SOLVED
Go to solution
JV Admins

PSP 8 and Domain Controllers

I have a ML370 G2 running Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition as DC, along with a bunch of other services (DHCP, DNS, web, DFS/R). Last night, I tried installing PSP 8 while connected from home, and it screwed the network connections. First, the PSP wouldn't install using the GUI, so I ran the bp*.cmd file, and received an error on most of the installs. I lost connection to the server when it installed the Network Config Utility (to be expected), but it never picked the connection back up. I came in this morning, logged into the console, unteamed the NICs, manually set the IP for one of them, and finished the install from the command prompt by logging into the same RDP session I was in the night before, and rebooted. The network connections folder was empty, and while the machine could see the network if given a static IP, it could be seen. After many, many futile attempts from reading MS Knowledgebase articles and posts from various forums around the 'Net, I finally turned off the cpqteam.exe in the msconfig, and rebooted and it worked. I then uninstalled the Network Config Utility from all the network cards, and it still works fine. Can the PSP, or just the NCU, not be installed on a domain controller due to the increased security? Now, although this server has two NICs, only one can be used, so if it fails, we have to manually enable the other one. Anybody have any ideas as to why?
4 REPLIES 4
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Indeed a strange one.
IMHO, I dont think there are issues with PSP 8.0 & DC over a secured connection.

Now, which version of NCU have you installed ? If you have installed PSP 8.0 & uninstalled NCU; you can still go back to the old NCU version that worked for you. isnt it? Hence, avoiding an extra task of manually enabling the 2nd NIC, if first fails.

Regards.
JV Admins

I was logged into the server when installing the PSP, not using the Remote deployment utility. And, I don't really know how to uninstall the NCU (I just uninstalled it from the protocol list in the network cards), and I'm afraid to try and reinstall an older version for the same thing happening again.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

To uninstall the HP NCU go to start -> Settings -> Network Connections. Right click on one of the network card and select properties. Under "this connection uses the following items", select the HP Network Configuration Utility and click uninstall.

Regards,
JV Admins

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to answer his question. The folder where NCU was installed is gone (Program Files\HP\NCU), so it appears it was uninstalled from the machine, so I don't know what version it was. Maybe down the road, we'll try installing NCU again, but not anytime soon. Also, does anybody know if HP is working on fixing the hw/sw discovery issues that appear to be so prevalent in PSP 8?