Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSP and RHEL 5 best practice?

Wilco.fong
Occasional Contributor

PSP and RHEL 5 best practice?

Hi,

I want to install bare minimum of PSP on RHEL5. All our DL 360 are running RHEL 5 with bare minimum packages and without XWindows GUI. Is there a best practice of PSP for linux installation on RHEL5. I don't want to install GUI and web interfaces which take a lot of resources on server. If I am posting in wrong forum thread, please guide me where to post it.
Thanks
2 REPLIES
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

Re: PSP and RHEL 5 best practice?

You don't need XWindows to run the PSP. Once the server is installed you simply follow the installation instructions that come with the PSP. From memory there is an install script (something like ./install) to install the PSP.

I've installed it on servers without X before. It will install the HP drivers and the management homepage. It's a VERY handy tool and i have it installed on ALL HP servers regardless of O/S and application.

I suggest if your server is internet facing you ensure that you can't get to the management homepage.
Dennis99
Occasional Visitor

Re: PSP and RHEL 5 best practice?

a bit late, but the install script will simply install a lot of extra's you don't need or want. For instance a lot of SNMP agents which you don't need, webservers etc...

There is always an included xml file (bp0000xxx.xml) in which you can try to exclude some software. But dependencies are not clear...

If you want a tailor-made solution (which practically any linux user wants) you're stuck to the manual labor of finding and installing your required packages... If you install the psp, you simply get a lot more, afterwards you can start disabling a lot of software again...

With the latest psp (8.50 at time of writing) there seems to be an "interactive" installer, that (as far I can see) requires you to install X... I don't need X and therefore I don't want X installed on my servers. It's a waste of resources...

HP should take a look at Dell's Solution: add a yum repository with a few base packages that will resolve the dependencies automatically and pull the correct versions in from Dell's repositories... That's how easy it can be...