1753518 Members
5137 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PXE Boot

Ray Lee_2
Regular Advisor

PXE Boot

I keep getting that the PXE boot didn't received a DHCP request. The RDP server is set to not be the DHCP server.

But if I install an OS on any system I can't see the servers until I apply the agent.
13 REPLIES 13
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Ray,

Enable Option 60 in the DHCP Global Server Options.

Check for DHCP Server Options and DHCP Request and PXE Discovery in the guide:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00778492/c00778492.pdf

DHCP Server discovery:
├в ┬в Auto detect Microsoft DHCP Server and configure for PXE: Select this option: when installing Altiris PXE Server on the same server where Microsoft DCHP Server is installed and running. PXE Server will then auto detect the presence of a Microsoft DHCP server, and install and enable Option 60 in the DHCP Global Server Options. PXE Server will not actively monitor DCHP ports for requests, but rather wait for clients to directly request PXE services based on option 60 being enabled. This applies only to Microsoft DHCP Servers.
├в ┬в Third party DHCP Server installed on PXE server (Do NOT use DHCP port): Select this option: when the PXE Server is installed on a server using a non-Microsoft DCHP server, or if you do not want PXE Server to actively monitor the DHCP requests. PXE Server does not createor set option 60 on the DHCP Server.
├в ┬в No DHCP Server installed on PXE Server (Use DHCP port): Select this option if PXE Server and DHCP Server are installed on different servers. This option enables PXE server to actively listen and respond to DCHP PXE requests.

Regards,
Raj.
Ray Lee_2
Regular Advisor

On the DHCP server I can locate the Option 60 PXE.

How do you add it to the DHCP Server?
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Ray,

The following link gives you the options on how to check and add the option 60:
http://pxes.sourceforge.net/howtos/ms_only_environment/

Check section: DHCP server
Four additional entries must be made on your MS DHCP server.

Regards,
Raj.
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Ray,

As per the attachment,there's a PXE-E51 error code.See if this helps,

PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received. The client did not receive any valid DHCP, BOOTP or proxyDHCP offers. To resolve this issue, check each of the following network configuration items:

├в ┬вDHCP services are not available on the network to which the PXE-enabled NIC is connected.

├в ┬вA DHCP proxy or IP helper address is not configured for the subnet on which the PXE client is connected.

├в ┬вThe switch port connected to the PXE NIC is running Spanning Tree Protocol, EtherChannel Protocol, or Port Aggregation Protocol and is thus not activated immediately when a link is detected. This forces the DHCP request from the PXE client to timeout.

.DHCP is available on the network, but PXE is not.

├в ┬вThe network cable is not attached to the PXE-enabled NIC on the target server.

SRH
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

What version of RDP are you running? and also what model are you trying to deploy this on.

Albert
Ray Lee_2
Regular Advisor

I am running RDP 3.10. BLp20s
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

In RDP 3.1 you should open "PXE CONFIGURATION" and from the second (I am not sure of the name of the tab as I dont have the console open in front of me) tab choose the DHCP-PXE option.

Secondly make sure you're DHCP server is distributing an IP address.
Thrirdly make sure the cable is connected to the right PORT. (Port 1 by default is PXE bootable)
Fourth make sure PXE hasnt been disabled.

On a BL 20p your nic setup is the following:

B A
NIC 4 NIC3 NIC 1 NIC 2
PXE

Rgds,

Albert

Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Ignore my BL 20p nic setup in my last post, since it is wrong. PXE was supposed to be under NIC 1.

Albert
Ray Lee_2
Regular Advisor

What connections does PXE relies on? The interconnect switch? In my case we have CGESM.

Does it have anything on the ILO on the enhance backpane?

Now I am confuse.