5255 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PXE-E61 PXE-M0F error

Vaish Raj
Advisor

PXE-E61 PXE-M0F error

Hi,

I am trying to install Windows 2003 on HP PROLIANT ML370 server and get following error

PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F EXITING HP PXE ROM

Non -system disk or disk error
Replace and strike any key when ready

I have no much idea on these servers. Can some one explain in detail what to be done to fix this issue.

I downloaded smart start software and could boot from it. It did say it is checking hardware, installed drivers and after step 4) screen is blank and nothing happens.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Murali_V
HPE Pro

Re: PXE-E61 PXE-M0F error

Hi Vaish,

Provide the following information to understand the exact issue.

What is the Generation of the server?
Any additional storage controller installed?
Did you check the boot order in RBSU (BIOS).
Is this a new installation or any os working earlier?
Try to boot the server with OS media and proceed with the installation to check.
What is the SmartStart CD version you are using?
More information on hardware setup and installation mentod.

Also, try to run Erase Utility from the SmartStart CD once and try to install the operating system.

Regards,
Murali Mohan
Was this post useful?

Accept or Kudo

Vaish Raj
Advisor

Hi Murali,

I do not have much idea on these servers but will try to answer as I can

What is the Generation of the server?

Answer: I have no idea on this.

Any additional storage controller installed?

Answer: No idea. There are six SCSI drives and when I power up it shows "x" next to "0" and "1" drives. I am guessing there is some issue with connectivity to these. I interchanged drives and drives looks to be OK.

Did you check the boot order in RBSU (BIOS).

Answer: The boot order has CDROM first.

Is this a new installation or any os working earlier?

Answer: I got this server from some one else and all hard drives are degaussed. So there won't be any O/S on these.

Try to boot the server with OS media and proceed with the installation to check.

Answer: I tried this and doesn't work.I put smart CD and boots from it but issue as mentioned earlier.

What is the SmartStart CD version you are using?

Answer: I will check and provide you shortly.

More information on hardware setup and installation mentod.

Answer: if you can guide me how to collect information I can give info you want.

Thanks
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F EXITING HP PXE ROM

means it is trying to boot over the lan, bootp server. it cannot find any boot server to boot from.

Non -system disk or disk error
Replace and strike any key when ready

the server cannot find anything bootable? disk or cd? no OS installed or bootable media in cd cd drive.

smart start runs so cdrom drive ok, step 4 probably trying to read your windows installation media, cd drive cannot by the sounds of it.

if windows media cannot boot to start with the cd drive cannot read it. Is it original media? or copied. The older generations servers had older cd drives in them and may not read the new burned media. if its a copy of cd, make another copy and burn it to the cd slower.

But I think it will be most likely a windows DVD - not cd. what is installed in server? a cd drive or DVD drive? what does it say the cd/dvd (installation disk server 2003) you have? a few things for you to answer

Andy
Vaish Raj
Advisor

Hi,

The version of smartstart CD i have is v7.91 copied on to CD

The Windows 2003 Server software is copied to DVD. From your information is it correct to say that the server has CD-ROM and not DVD-ROM and it is not able to read from DVD.If this is the problem what is the solution to install from DVD. The Windows 2003 Server software can't fit into a CD.

I disabled network boot from BIOS.I will check if I can figure out if it is CD-ROM or DVD-ROM.

Thanks
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

It depends upon the generation of the server to be sure, by default. But it could easily have been changed?

from the smart start cd it should list the drive in the inventory under the nsight diagnostics, if it does not say on the front bezel of the drive.

either that or just pul it out and look at either the Part number on the drive or the model number and google t or look at partsurfer.hp.com if you find a hp part number.

If it is only a a cd drive, then you will need to get/borrow another dvdrom drive and connect that up instead

Andy
Vaish Raj
Advisor

Thanks. I will try and let you know
Vaish Raj
Advisor

Issue mentioned