New Discussion юеВ

Re: PageFile Problem While Increasing Space

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jiten Joshi
Advisor

PageFile Problem While Increasing Space

Hi,

I have DL380 G5 server ( Windows Server 2003)with 3 HDD's ( RAID 5) and I have just added two more HDD's and BBWC inorder to increase the space. Array controller is P400.

The logical drive which will be expanded has page file, will the expansion be affected if the drive has the page file?

Please help.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

> The logical drive which will be expanded has page file...

The pagefile is defined on the OS partition and not directly on the logical drive.

The array expansion, raid type migration and logical drive expansion do not affect the OS and the OS partitions.

Always make a good backup of the OS data before you start any disk changing operations.

After you expand the logical drive the OS partition will not be expanded automatically. It will remain the same. You will just have a larger OS disk with the same OS partition(s) in it.

If you plan to expand the OS partition, only at that point you worry about the pagefile. I don't think the pagefile is going to be an issue because the geometry of the OS partition does not change, it only gets extended at the end. But I can not be sure as I have not done this. If you can you can unconfigure the pagefile temporariry while you expand the OS partition and the reconfigure it again.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Jiten,

I assume the logical drive you're expanding is not the boot partition. If it is not, you should not need a downtime.

Of course, if you decide to change the size of the pagefile as well (since you now have more space) then a reboot will be necessary. :)

Short answer - No.

good luck, points are appreciated if this helped
Jiten Joshi
Advisor

Thanks guys