1748112 Members
3469 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Paralell port not recognized in Sco Unix 5.0.7

Robert  Radin
Occasional Contributor

Paralell port not recognized in Sco Unix 5.0.7

Sco Openserver 5.0.7 was installed on a Proliant ML350 G3. The port is not recognized on boot up
I assume it is /dev/lp3. I tried to send 'date >
/dev/lp3' but the process froze. HP Smart Start diagnostics recognizes the parallel port. I also tried lp and lp0, but no luck. What next?
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Wood_3
Respected Contributor

Set RBSU to LPT1, IRQ 7.

Run 'mkdev parallel' and configure ISA parallel port for 378-37F, IRQ 7 (/dev/lp0).

Rebuild kernel.

Run printer manager and add a local printer. Give the printer a name and device type then link to LPT0.

Test with 'lp -d nameofprinter path_of_file_to_print.
Robert  Radin
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, but isn't the embedded paralled port an PCI port? mkdev parallel tels me that I am configured for pci.....the are no ISA slots on the motherboard.
Jeff Allen_5
Valued Contributor

Bill Wood_3
Respected Contributor

No. There are no such pci parallel ports. The parallel port is an ISA device and it is part of the SuperI/O chip included in the ServerWorks chipset.
Robert  Radin
Occasional Contributor

Thank you
I got lp0 recognized and working.
After installing an additional parallel port (pci), the system recognized it as lp3 as it should. However, after sending 'date > /dev/lp3' i got nonsense letters. I reset the printer and the redirected command froze without any printing. I had to kill the process with the -9 flag. The board is a 32 bit pci single parallel made by Siig. I installed it in the 32 bit slot. I will try another board