cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parity Initialization

Steven Romain
Occasional Visitor

Parity Initialization

I have recently re-configured a Proliant 8000. With 2 Logical Raid 5 Drives. Drive 2 has been warning me that it has been doing the background parity initialization on Drive 2 for more than three weeks now. The drive is 10 X 18.2 gig drives.
Used SmartStart 5.4: 4250ES array controller: W2K Advanced server.
Note: Logical drive 1 is same configuration but was finished its initialization in a couple hours.
3 REPLIES 3
Bob_173
Occasional Visitor

Re: Parity Initialization

Have you received any assistance on this problem yet?
I had a similar problem. I expanded a Compaq Array, and the Array Configuration presented the "Background Parity Initialization" message for 4 days. I ran the Compaq Array Diagnostic Utility, and I sent the results to one of the tech support people at Compaq.
One of the drives in the Array was failing. This was the reason that the Background Parity Initialization was taking so long. I had to replace the drive. I don't know if this exactly addresses your problem, but I hope it helps.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I've seen this happen on servers which have been in production for 1-2 years. Is this server busy? How large is drive 2? The busier and larger the drive is, the longer it's going to take.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Arthur Chang
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
When you configure RAID 4/5,server boot or Array Configuration Utility in OS always display a background initialization message,it's just a information,not warning,don't worry,according to my experience,initial time from several hours to month,if you worry that HD failed,you can use Insight manager to check compaq hardware.
Regards