New Discussion юеВ

Re: Part number ? for purchase of power cable to ML530/570 cage backplane

SOLVED
Go to solution
RicJohnson
Advisor

Part number ? for purchase of power cable to ML530/570 cage backplane

Hi:

I need a power supply cable for the HDD cage(pn: 159313) backplane(pn: 263035-001) that come with ML530/570 G2 systems.

The power connector is 6-pin.
A 6-pin PCI-Express graphics card connector fits the backplane connector but since it only supplies 12V I do not know if it will work. It could fry everything!
I'd rather not risk it if there is a cable that can be purchased and used with 4-pin molex connectors or hacked to used them.

I've looked and cannot find the correct cable or part number for a replacement. ML530 service manual only has cable kits...

HELP! please!.
7 REPLIES 7
V.Manoharan
Valued Contributor
Solution

V.Manoharan
Valued Contributor

RicJohnson
Advisor

Thanks. That's a start but did not get anywhere. :(

I backtraced the SCA-2 connector on the 263035-001 and found that the 5V and 12V are probably being supplied so i cannot use the PCIe connector.
It appears that somebody made a 6-pin connector where it could be a 4-pin molex because two of the pins on the 6-pin connector do not connect directly to anything, except devices on the backplane.
I don't know what those two pins do or even if there are any wires leading to them.

I am probably going to have to recycle the 159314 power backplane so I can connect power JUST to find out what the pinout is for the six pin connector.
Then I can throw it in the trashcan ... along with my lifetime HP Fan Club membership.
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Ric,

Have you checked the spares list?Could it be 232110-001?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00064937/c00064937.pdf
Pg 1-9 (17 of 139)

SRH

RicJohnson
Advisor

Hi Sandeep:
Thanks!
Yes, I got the ML530 service manual PDF and checked there. The 232110 is part of the cable kit:
g) Backplane to system board cable
232110-001

I am pretty sure that is the main power connector for the ML530 system board.

The item that ithink *might* be the cable from the Power Backplane to the HDD Cage backplane is:
e) Power backplane cable
232109-001

But the info should list two of those so it is also possible that is the cable that connects to the PSU.

The 6-pin to 6-pin cable is pretty long too. According to the ML530 G2 diagrams it routes around the edge of the system, which if true would make it, probably, 18'' or more.

Thanks for trying.

It would be great if someone with a G2 would just look at the back of the HDD cage or the power backplane and count the wires that go into the 6-pin connector.
If there are only four(4) I'll just make a cable here. ( and quit asking for help! :) )

If there are six, well, I am probably going to need that specific cable. It has to have a part number! All these nicely sleeved cable have tags on them ... (well, the ones I have do).

Ric
RicJohnson
Advisor

There are 6 wires. Someone was kind enough to give me the part number but it is not listed here. I think they will sell me the cable but i do not know if that will help.

Because two(2) of the wires are 5v signal lines and there is no documentation as to what they might do, I do not know if these cages can be recycled and still use the SCSI backplane.

Anybody know what those two extra lines do?
RicJohnson
Advisor

Premise
I am trying to recycle a hard disk drive cage used in the ML530 & ML570 Compaq systems into a HP 1280 (Visualize system) for additional (external) storage.

Facts
The hard drive cage, part# 159313-001, SCSI backplane requires a 6-pin power connection, part #158470-001 or 158471-001, from the power backplane, part# 159314-001.
The power backplane requires at least one power supply unit(PSU), e.g., part# 157793-001, connected to one of the three(3) PSU connectors, part# 141280-001.

Answer
The hard drive cage, 159313, cannot be recycled to use the attached SCSI3 backplane with the power backplane because the PSU is proprietary. Since PSU will not fit properly into any current system the backplane is worthless and no power connector cable from the power backplane to the SCSI backplane is needed!

Additional info
The cage can be hacked to be used without the backplane. I am using one that way...
It might even be possible to hack a connector to power the SCSI board. I am trying that.
It might be possible to purchase a new SAS backplane but that won't be any good unless it does not use the ML5* series power backplane(not likely...).

Goodbye.