ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753758 Members
4859 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Perlib error with DL360 GB#, Management Agents 6.20A and Windoes 2000 Server

Jean Griffith
Occasional Contributor

Perlib error with DL360 GB#, Management Agents 6.20A and Windoes 2000 Server

I have just installed Windows 2000 Server SP3 and Compaq Management agents 6.20a on my new Compaq Proliant DL360 G3 and I am getting the following error in the Application Event Log every 30 minutes or so:

The Collect Procedure for the "Tcpip" service in DLL "C:\WINNT\system32\Perfctrs.dll" generated an exception or returned an invalid status. Performance data returned by counter DLL will be not be returned in Perf Data Block. Exception or status code returned is data DWORD 0.

I originally set up the server with version 6.10 of the Management Agents and found that I got the same message in the Event Log every 30 secs approximately.

Obviously the installation of version 6.20A has helped my problem slightly, but I should like the error not to occur at all.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Jean Griffith
3 REPLIES 3
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Perlib error with DL360 GB#, Management Agents 6.20A and Windoes 2000 Server

Is this an event id 1010? Have you contacted MS about this? There is a pre-SP4 hotfix available for this. MS will be releasing the KB article for this (not sure if it's out yet).
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Jean Griffith
Occasional Contributor

I'm just replying to myself to let people know the solution I found to this problem.

I actually found the answer in a different area of the forum in a reply by Martijn Stewart. I've copied his answer below as I can't work out how to cross reference the 2 items:

January 30, 2003 12:46 PM GMT [ 10 pts ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron,

I've had the same problem.
When I checked the performance subkey in the registry for the TCP service, the "disable performance counters" key was set to 1. I'v set the value to 0 and rebooted the machine. Problem solved !! It seems that processes trying to read the performance data failed to do so because of the fact that the perfcounters for this object were disabled.

The following is the .reg file you cab use to add the correct value in the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Performance]
"Disable Performance Counters"=dword:00000000

Let me know if it worked out for you !

Many thanks Martijn if you read this.

Jean
Melinda Cooper
Frequent Advisor

I had the same error on my DL360 G2's with W2K, SP3 installed. They have Broadcom NC7780 nic cards and I've just upgraded the driver today on one of the servers to see if this will remove the 'perflib' error that shows up repeatedly. I'll know by tomorrow if it worked.