1748000 Members
4443 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Pinout Required for DL380e/DL380p G8 LFF Expander Backplane

amp88
Collector

Pinout Required for DL380e/DL380p G8 LFF Expander Backplane

Hi all. I wonder if anyone could help me, please. I'm looking to see if there's a resource with a pinout for the two power connectors on the expander backplane in the DL380e / DL380p G8 12xLFF servers (part 647407-001). I was just about to probe the pins in the cables myself to try and measure the voltages with a multimeter, but thought I'd ask here first, just in case. I found a few other examples of people providing pinouts for other power connectors. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Shrey27
HPE Pro

Hello,

Greetings for the day.

Can you please explain more on PINOUT, what exactly you are referring to? Do you want to check the Backplane Voltage.

Is there any specific issue that you are facing. Kindly elaborate the same.

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Shrey27
HPE Pro

Also in additin to the above, below parts are for the power cables:

Power cable - For 8-bay or 12-bay Large Form Factor (LFF) server models - Connects between the hard drive backplane board and the system I/O board1
675612-001

Power cable - For 8-bay or 16-bay small form factor (SFF) server models - Connects between the hard drive backplane board and the system input-output (I/O) board1
675613-001

Please refer to the spare part list for DL380P Gen8 server as below:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03243782

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

amp88
Collector

Hi, thanks for your replies. I already have the backplane cables, and the backplane in the DL380e is working properly. What I'm trying to discover is the arrangement of the cables in the connectors (e.g. ground and various voltages) of the backplane. My goal, and I understand this is not a supported use case, but I thought I'd ask anyway, is to attempt to create custom cables for the backplane power connectors and power the backplane + drives in the DL380e with a secondary PSU and run the SFF-8087 backplane data cables from the DL380e into a controller card in another server.

amp88
Collector

I just probed the connector using a multimeter, and got the following results:

With the clip of the connector on the top, the colour of the wires is:

B | Y | B | B

-------------

Y | R | Y

B = Black

Y = Yellow

R = Red

All of the black wires are ground, all of the yellow wires are +12v, and the red wire is +3.3v (instead of the +5v I'd've expected for SATA power). This suggests the backplane is doing voltage conversion itself (to supply +5v without a 5v input). Can anyone else confirm this? Thanks.

Shrey27
HPE Pro

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

However HPE recommends to use only the components which are supported on the server as per the below links:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03243782

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03235291

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

DanRobinson
HPE Pro

I understand what you are trying to do, and the thrill of the hunt, but I probably wouldn't bother and would instead just get a D2700 Disk Shelf.

The Lenovo SA120 is another popular (inexpensive) Home Lab option.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

amp88
Collector

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, a disk shelf was my first option. I bought a NetApp DS4246 last year (I got a very good deal, so it was worth a punt), but the power consumption and noise are both too much for me to stomach. The DS4246 idles with no drives around the 90-100W range. My experience with disk shelves (from the point of view of a home labber) is:

• Quiet
  • Low Power
  • Cheap

Pick none.

I'm not complaining about enterprise gear (I'm aware of the limitations and I'm willing to experiment), but the idea of using the backplane and SAS expander from the DL380e with a secondary PSU and some custom fans as my own low(er) power and quiet 'disk shelf' is an enticing one.