1752792 Members
5968 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Places to install Windows

RecycledMiner
Occasional Contributor

Places to install Windows

I have a HP Proliant DL380p Gen 8 (12 bay LFF drives).
I currently have Windows installed on the SD card - but I would prefer it being on a hard drive. I currently have Raid turned off as I need all the drives to be separate. I have tried to install windows onto the hard drive in bay 1 but because I have raid switched off I get a message saying that isnтАЩt a bootable drive.
As I donтАЩt have a optical drive I thought about using that port - but apparently that port is slower?
What options do I have?
3 REPLIES 3
Cali
Honored Contributor

Re: Places to install Windows

Hi,

if I remember right, the DL380p Gen8 will have a Smart Array P420i Raid Controller.

And I assume that this Controller did not support Drive Pass-Through.

So, if you delete your existing Raid Set and really want to have 12 independent Disk, then you need to create 12 logical Disks with Raid 0.

After this, you will see the 12 Drives in Windows Setup, if not you need to add the Raid Controller Driver during Setup.

Cali

P.S.

See: Configuring Arrays on HP Smart Array Controllers Reference Guide

Alternative fault-tolerance methods

If you decide to use one of these alternative methods, configure your arrays with RAID 0 for maximum storage capacity and refer to your operating system documentation for further implementation details.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

As per your query,

1. I currently have Raid turned off as I need all the drives to be separate.

I do not understood why you install Windows OS without RAID?

2. I have tried to install windows onto the hard drive in bay 1 but because I have raid switched off I get a message saying that isnтАЩt a bootable drive.

Currently how many HDD already in bay, Add only 1 drive and check its read or not at installation time, I only try with servers with RAID.

3. As I donтАЩt have a optical drive I thought about using that port - but apparently that port is slower?

Better to add external optical drive via USB.

I Haq
Sebasbin
HPE Pro

Hi,

I would suggest you to enable RAID and if you need all the drive as independent then create RAID0 with each HDD.

Refer below POST
https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/turn-off-raid-on-a-hp-proliant-dl380p-gen8/m-p/7005188#M162457

Please refer to the server user guide for more information.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03231416

You can mount the Operating system image in ILO virtual media and boot from OS image to install the OS or install OS by using Intelligent provisioning.

HP ProLiant Gen8 Servers - Installing Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=mmr_kc-0119023

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo