ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748170 Members
4089 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Please specify the operating system CD image?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

How do you have the boot order set in RBSU? make sure the CD/DVD ROM is before hard disk

Maybe something is wrong with your bootable 2008 media. The "hpssbem" error is from a failed SmartStart installation trying to boot from the hard disk.

The DL380 G3 shipped with a CD ROM drive, has it been swapped out for a DVD ROM drive?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
RobertMcHenry
Advisor

Can you load a 32-bit ver. of the O/S on that server? I had a G3 Proliant that would NOT run a 64-bit O/S. I purchased a DL380 G4 that WOULD run 64-bit O/S but quickly found out I'd need a G5 if I wanted to play with Hyper-V

Also, Might want to make sure the program used to burn that ISO verify's the CD. Nothing worse than a burned CD with corrupt files!

Keep us posted.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

├В┬╗ Microsoft Windows 2000
├В┬╗ Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
├В┬╗ Microsoft Windows Server 2003

This is what is support on the DL380G3. You need a G4 for 2008 support. HP will not support 2008 on the server without driver support.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3288130тМй=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316529&taskId=135
K-Dubb
Advisor

I have installed 2008 on other g3s without an issue. This is a 32bit server. I am only attempting to install 32 bit OS. I tried upgrading the firmware, no go.

One difference between this G3 and the others is that this one's processor arch is i686 and not x86. I wonder if that is why it will not work?
K-Dubb
Advisor

Also, I am not sure if the optical drive was replaced with a dvd over the last few years. ALl of the G3s we have have DVD roms..

Yes it has to be 2008.
K-Dubb
Advisor

I used the erase utility on the smart start dvd to clean the hard drives. I am now trying a straight windows install once more. It is past the hp error though. I had tried this originally and it failed with a different error, so I will see if it happens again. I expect it to.
K-Dubb
Advisor

Well I guess the erase via smart start fixed it. I was able to install Server 2008 Core. Still not sure why it would not install using smart start... I will now install the PSP to get it up to date. Thanks!
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Glad you got it working.

I figured it was going to fall into the catagory

not supported, known to work.....

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!