1753856 Members
7345 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Plug in second drive while system is installed

PAfreakFloiran
Occasional Advisor

You know a fast way to backup the hole hdd fast?
I backup at the moment some folders with cvf, but it's not very clever.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

If you currently have a raid 0 and want to add the new drive in to migrate from a raid 0 to raid 1 then that can be done. Unfortunately, you will not gain ANY space by doing this, because it will just mirror the exisiting drive onto the new drive being added. If the purpose is to add another drive to gain more storage space, then you will need to put the new drive into it's own raid 0. You were on the right track in the video you attached. In the ORCA create the raid 0 logical drive, then boot back up to the OS. It should see the new drive you added.

If what you want is to migrate from a raid 0 to a raid 1, then it will require using the Array Configuration Utility from a Smart Start CD or one for the OS. I am not sure there is a version to use on debian, so you may be out of luck with the online version. If you do this from Smart Start there are wizards which will guide you through the raid level migration.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Don't you have a tape drive? I don't rush backups. I want them done correctly. You will need to do a verify on them. You don't want to risk losing data. If you have SQL server on it. Go into maintenence and do backups of all the databases.

It might be worth you paying HP or a local company to come out and help you. You seem like you have not worked on servers. You are better off having someone show you how to do it.
PAfreakFloiran
Occasional Advisor

Jea you right, this is my first real server "I'm new on this area", I run debian before under a normal pc as server. I have no one who can show me how to do, so itâ s all learning by doing!
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Most of the questions you ask are in the manuals for the server and controller. It is sometimes better to hire help for the first server install. Take notes and have them walk you through it. Its worth 4-8 hours of help to get it done right the first time. You can easily miss a step and cause issues in the future.
PAfreakFloiran
Occasional Advisor

Jeaa, I’ve done it, with learning by doing!
Thanks for you'r help !