1753797 Members
7693 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Poor network performance

Eric Sabo_1
Regular Advisor

Poor network performance

We have a couple of HP Proliants DL380 G6 (windows 2008 SP2) that have teamed network connections to an Cisco 3750 and 3650 network switch - this two switches are tied to a 6509. When we do a file copy between two servers (connected to 3750/3650 switches - on NIC in each switch Teamed) we are getting about 4-4.3 MB/sec data transfer speed. But if we go and transfer data to a server that is attached to our 6509 (core switch) we are getting 65/75 MB data transfer. But coming back the other way we still are getting 4.50 MB data transfer speed. I am not a networking person but trying to find out why the difference. I believe both of the 3750/3650 switch are connected via fiber at 10 GB speed to the 6509 core.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to troubleshoot this issue?
11 REPLIES 11
rick jones
Honored Contributor

The syntax of the suggestions may not match your OS, but hopefully the semantics will be of help. See the attached
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
u84823
Regular Advisor

Looks like classic symptons of a duplex mismatch somewhere. The configuration between the switch ports and server NICs *MUST* match, and similarly for uplink ports between switches.

Cisco switch ports can be configured

1. auto/auto
2. auto/auto but with only a subset of options being offered (i.e. 1000/F)
3. hard-set (i.e. 1000/F)

For 1 and 2, attached devices MUST be configured as auto/auto. For option 3, attached devices MUST be configured manually with the same setting, i.e. 1000/F.

HTH
Eric Sabo_1
Regular Advisor

We did hard code the servers along with the cisco switches. I guess what I am asking trying to ask is there any standard settings or option I should turn off. I really believe this is a configuration issue with the Cisco switches.
u84823
Regular Advisor

I would go back and check CRC error states on ports connected to the servers AND the uplinks (at both ends).
Eric Sabo_1
Regular Advisor

We did already nothing out of the normal or nothing is sticking out. I am at a lost.
u84823
Regular Advisor

Just to clarify the original post, is it that each server is connected to two different (and unstacked) switches?
Eric Sabo_1
Regular Advisor

Yes that would be correct. Each switch ties into the 6513 core at a seperate 10 GB link.
Eric Sabo_1
Regular Advisor

We still are getting very slow throughput on our network switches.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Remove the team and see if you can get good speeds for the individual nic's. try different teaming settings. Try using the same switch for both members of the team.