ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752644 Members
5614 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Poor performance Disk DL380 G3

Poor performance Disk DL380 G3

Hi folks!

I have a Proliant DL380 G3 and I sold 2 months ago. I configured this server with RAID 5 and have 3-72 GB 10K SCSI DISKS, I experiment poor performance when I make read/write tasks for example when I deflating a big zip files (200 MB-1 GB) the deflating take too many time when an old servers takes and a half or less of time.

Thaks for help

Henry
Henry
16 REPLIES 16
Sigi J
Valued Contributor

hi,

you did not tell anything about the raid controller you use. When you compare with your old server, was the same Raid-controller used?

In general, RAID 5 with only three disks is not really performant. Performance depends on the number of disks.

When deflating large zip-files, your server needs a lot of RAM. How much RAM is in your DL380?

The DL380 G3 has a Smart Array 5i Plus, and comparing with the old server is a DL380 G2 with a Smart Array Controller (I dont know the model this server is in a hosting service)

Both with RAID 5.

the new DL380 G3 has a 4 GB of RAM and 1 P Xeon procesor 2.x GHZ

the old DL380 G2 has a 2 GB of RAM 2 PIII 1 GB procesors.

Thanks for Help

Henry
Henry

Sorry I forgot both of servers have RAID 5 with three SCSI disks

Henry
Sigi J
Valued Contributor

Smart Array 5i Plus needs the optional battery pack which enables the write cache. Does your server have this battery module?

Let me check If I have this in my server,

What could be the consecuences if I don??t have the BBWC in my servers? lose performance?

Thannks for help

Henry
Sigi J
Valued Contributor

Hi Henry,

yes, write performance will be very poor without write cache enabled.

I check with my HP vendor, this server don??t include the BBWC option Kit, so, should I buy this? Is cause for poor performance? Why with another SCSI boards don??t have this issue, the Write Cache is included?

Thanks for Help

Henry
Henry
Philippe Sudan
Occasional Advisor

We had the same problem with databases few months ago. We did some testing and the end result was we cut down a process of 60' to 5' just by adding the BWCC or SmartArray. From now on we always purchase new servers irrelevant of their task with the BWCC.

Cheers,
Phil
Sigi J
Valued Contributor

hi Henry,

yes, you should spend some extra money for BBWC.
On older SmartArray controllers the writecache modules always had batteries on board. I do not understand why this was changed. I think it is a marketing strategy, no technical reason...

Your HP vendor did not tell you about the BBWC-module? Maybe he did not know enough about the tech specs of the newest Proliant servers.