1748275 Members
4139 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Possible defective Smart Array P420 ?

mstocker

Possible defective Smart Array P420 ?

Hello,

I purchased a P420 1GB FBWC controller and installed in a ML310e server.  With this controller attempting to install any OS (i've tried Windows, ESXi, and Debian Linux) all fail during the partitioning of the array.  What happens is:  Partitioning begins, then suddenly all disk activity LED's stop.  A few seconds later the cooling fans in the server ramp up to full speed.  The machine does not appear to be hard locked but can not access the array.  Manually power cycling the server and upon reboot I get code 1719: A controller failure event occurrred prior to this power-up (Preview lock up code= 0x13)

I have updated the firmware to version 3.54 and get the same result.  I have also tried RAID 5 and RAID 10 with same result.  I've been setting up servers with hardware raid for years and have never had this much trouble.  How can I contact HP support about replacing this controller?

P420 Error

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Jason_L
Valued Contributor

Re: Possible defective Smart Array P420 ?

Hello,

To contact HP warranty call 800-334-5144 and follow the voice prompts to access support on the server/controller.

Please have you serial number / carepack - warranty or other contract information available and they should be able to assit.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

You can also log a case online via the HP Support Center.

https://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public

Hope this helps...

I work for HPE.
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Re: Possible defective Smart Array P420 ?

Try removing the cache module and booting up without it.
A faulty module would cause this....

Thanks
Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)