ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748128 Members
3731 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Post Error 1777 on Proliant ML370

Mels van der Ploeg

Post Error 1777 on Proliant ML370

I have a POST Error: 1777-Drive Array Detected Proliant Drive Subsystem Error on my Proliant ML370 server in Romania. Because I work in The Netherlands it's a bit far to go and have a look. Does anyone know what this error means?
5 REPLIES 5
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

POST Error 1777 has a lot of "sub" messages to determine the exact failure...

Read as follows:

1777-Slot X Drive Array - ProLiant Drive Storage Enclosure Problem Detected...
(followed by one or more of the following):
SCSI Port Y: Cooling Fan Malfunction Detected

SCSI Port Y: Overheated Condition Detected

SCSI Port Y: Side-Panel must be Closed to Prevent Overheating

SCSI Port Y: Redundant Power Supply Malfunction Detected

SCSI Port Y: Wide SCSI Transfer Failed

SCSI Port Y: Interrupt Signal Inoperative

SCSI Port y: Unsupported ProLiant Storage System Detected

Possible Cause: Environment threshold was violated on the drive enclosure.
Action:
Check cooling fan operation by placing hand over fan.

Be sure the internal plenum cooling fan in tower servers or storage systems is operational. If fan is not operating, check for obstructions and check all internal connections.

Replace unit side panel if removed.

Check the LEDs. If the ProLiant Storage System power LED is amber instead of green, this indicates a redundant power supply failure.

If the message indicates to check SCSI cables:
a. Compare the cabling against the diagrams in the HP Smart Array Controller User Guide.
b. If the routing is correct, replace cables on the specified port until the POST error message is eliminated.

Try and have someone local to the server read the "exact" error message to you and you may be able to determine how to proceed.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_338615-2/TPM_338615-2.pdf

G'luck! -john
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Mels van der Ploeg

I looked again and I found this in the System Event Log:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: CPQCISSE
Event Category: None
Event ID: 24683
Date: 10-11-2004
Time: 08:07:41
User: N/A
Computer: SV9800
Description:
SCSI bus fault occurred on Storage Box 0, Port 0 of Array Controller in slot 5, which may result in a "downshift" in transfer rate for one or more hard drives on the bus.

Does this give a better clue to what the problem might be?!?
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Well... There could be a bios and driver update available to fix the "downshifting" depending on what controller is used.

Though, I have seen downshift messages along with others from a power supply failure on an external StorageWorks MSA30 before... you need someone on-site to visually look things over and check the fans on devices and give you more info.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Nick_192

I too have seen this error on an ML380 running Windows Server 2003 and it has recently returned. This error is on a 6400 controller with an external MSA30 attached. The last time it occured I updated the controller firmware and drivers. The message did not appear for more than 3 weeks, but has re-appeared yesterday.

The MSA is shared with another ML380 on the other channel and it is fine. The odd thing here is that the SCSI cards were swapped between these two identical machines last week for another reason, but the error is still on the original machine that it first appeared.

Safe to say it is not the controller?

What Now??
Peter Jam
Frequent Advisor

Mels,
I know it has been a long time, but I have been seeing this off and on on my DL360G4p with a Smart Array 6i controller to my MSA 20 that I use for DPM 2007.
1777 /slot 0 Drive Array - Storage Enclosure Problem Detected Wide SCSI Transfer Failed - Check SCSI Cables.
Sometimes DPM does not find the MSA 20 disks and I have to rescan or reboot.
Did you ever figure this out?