1753428 Members
4837 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Power Profile setting for DL360 G7

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Power Profile setting for DL360 G7

Does anyone have any advice on how to set the Power Profile in the BIOS of the DL360 G7?  I believe by default it is set to "Balanced Power and Performance".  My instinct is to set this to "Maximum Performance".  Assuming saving energy is not a concern, is there any reason NOT to select this option?  Also, does the OS control this in any fashion?  For example, in Windows 2008 R2, do the power setting in the OS control this, over-ride it, enhance it, etc.?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

NK

4 REPLIES 4
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Please check here.

Page 41

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00191707/c00191707.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
mark q
Regular Advisor

for servers I always set the power management profile to always on.

You can change the power settings through a hardware profile you can build with the smartstart scripting toolkit.

or

You can change allot of the power setting through an xml file you can upload to the lights out board.

Generally speaking power management is great if you have a laptop but it's hard to explain to a customer that their application died because someone didn't uncheck the power management setting on a network card.

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Sorry, my question was poorly worded.  I was not asking "How" to change the power settings litterally.  What I should have said was "Does anyone have any advice on WHICH power profile to use.  Is there a disadvantange, other than energy savings, to using full power instead of the default "balanced" setting".

Thanks

Nelson

Dave73
Regular Advisor

Good reading here to help you with your decisions on what power settings to use on what systems.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00300430/c00300430.pdf

If you are not constrained by power and cooling issues, run full power :)