1753974 Members
6886 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power Supply Failures

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Power Supply Failures

I have four brand new servers and three of the four power supplies have already failed. Is this just a coincidence or is there a known issue with power supplies in ML350's?
23 REPLIES 23
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I had the same problem with two ML350s in the past few months. We have another four servers running, hopefully power supplies will also keep running because I don't want to be in the firing line again.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I spoke too soon. Another power supply has gone down. There is definitely a problem with ML350 power supplies but of course Compaq will not admit it.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have 2 ML350s w/ bad power supplies. When I called Tech. Svcs. they recommended that I check the system ROM and make sure that the server was using a UPC. Does Compaq monitor this forum for trends? Please post if you receive any other suggestions.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

WOW, I'm glad that I'm not the only one out there! All of my Compaq's are on AC UPS 1000 or above. Our compaq technician checked the ROM and said everything looked OK. I have ordered a spare for the four and final ML350 due to constant back-order of these power supply units. I would suggest the same for everyone else as well.

Note: Our Compaq technician has mentioned that this issue has also occurred numerously in the ML530's as well which I have two of. Any prayers are welcome! :-)
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Same here, had two go down...
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I also had the same experience with a bad power supply. It went down after 2 months. However the Compaq replaced it the same day, but I did not know that this is now a known bug. I have installed another ML350 2 days ago, I hope that this will keep up and running.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We ordered 120 of these ML350 Servers last year. Having installed 5 and 3 PSU's dying we spoke to Compaq who admitted that there is a known problem on a paticular batch of PSU's. All 120 servers have now had the PSU replaced under warranty even though they have not all failed yet.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Were the Compaq people decent about replacing them? Of course with 120 I can see why, but what about a piddly little 7,500 student school district. Have they stated anywhere in any documentation of this issue with the PSU's? I sure as hec hope so!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Alot of our customers (don't ask why) bought these babies (no pun intended). Of course the power supplies die and they wonder why. I don't think the ml350 has quality hardware in it. The power supply is smaller than what I'm using in my home PC.